Risking a printhead

telv

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have a couple of Canon printers that I have had to abandon because of paper feed problems. I have saved the printheads and want to put these to use in printers which are faulty and bring them back to life. I seem to remember reading on this forum that there was a risk of damage to the prinhead if the printer being resuscitated was showing error code B200 or U052. I would be grateful to know if that is the case.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You’ve got it slightly mixed up a bit, putting an unknown print head into a printer can sometimes on occasions damage the logic board which would then render that printer useless.

It’s a bit od a risk to take when you don’t know the history of these print heads, like were they working in their previous life before you got them or did they come from a non functioning printer with errors.

It’s a fairly safe practice when you know where the print head came from originally.. :hu

telv

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
To put the question a different way, let's suppose someone has a printer which has stopped working and they replace the printhead with a new one. What risk of damage is there to this new prinhead if the printer was showing error code B200 or U052?

I cannot now locate the posts but remember reading there was a definite risk because either one or the other (or both) these error codes might mean the logic board has become faulty and will automatically damage the new printhead.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
To answer that question, I’ll just say I've had several of these error codes on my printers and have replaced the print heads without any difficulty.

There has been some reports mentioned that the logic board can damage a newly installed print head but this is something that can only happen on very rare occasions.

That’s why this cautionary message was put out because it’s important to know the history of a print head before installing it in your own printer, if the circuitry has been damaged by moisture it most lightly will do the very same to your logic board.

I have never had it happen and I have burned out more print heads through pure carelessness and stupidity on my part than I care to remember, so long as the print head has not been pulled apart or installed previously while still wet then the risks are extremely low in my opinion..