Rihac CISS for a Canon iP4500??

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
Hi, new poster and Canon iP4500 owner. I've been reading through many of the threads here about CISS systems with Canon printers. Having used a CISS successfully with my Epson R200 and R220 for years and was hoping to do the same with the iP4500. Now I'm not so sure and maybe refilling is the better way to go.

However I saw this thread:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2807

websnail, do you have an update on how the Rihac CISS is working for you? Is it the one that came with the chip already installed? http://stores.ebay.com/RIHAC-Solutions.

I've got about a month before I have to do some serious printing (2 upcoming video projects) and would like to figure out which way I should go (CISS vs refill).

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
msmart said:
websnail, do you have an update on how the Rihac CISS is working for you? Is it the one that came with the chip already installed? http://stores.ebay.com/RIHAC-Solutions.

I've got about a month before I have to do some serious printing (2 upcoming video projects) and would like to figure out which way I should go (CISS vs refill).
The Rihac system works fine but in truth it's still not perfect... The problem is the printer just isn't robust enough to use a CIS without everything being "just so". I put the iP4500 in a school that was having problems but I'll be swapping them to a K5400 soon because it's just easier to maintain and now that I have the black ink issues sorted out with the K5400 I'm just happier doing it that way.

The Epson printers aren't really much better IMHO... the R285 is ok but the new ARC approach can be a bit of a bind and the R285 is just a very basic printer... It does OK and it's declogging is supposed to be better but quality wise it seems to be less impressive.

I'll be getting a few more printers in over the summer months I can feedback more then but I'm fast approaching the point of selling off my remaining iP4200 and iP4300's with new printheads, refill kits and ink just to cover my costs... Annoying but unfortunately a necessary evil now.

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
Thanks for the input m, however that CISS will not work in the 4500. It's missing the PG-black. It does look very similar to the CISS I was using on my Epson R220 printer, probably from the same manufacturer.

btw, I noticed you've posted in several CISS threads right in a row, you wouldn't happen to be affiliated with inkfilling.com, would you?

For what it's worth here is the page on, dare I say, your website for 4500 refills:
http://www.inkfilling.com/inkjet-refill-Canon--PIXMA--iP4500.html, no mention of a CISS.

However, after hanging around here for a couple weeks now and reading various threads, I'm going to go the refill route and give up on a CISS for my 4500 for now.

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
cuteguy, welecome to the forum. Thanks for the vote of confidence of your CISS. Did you have to modify the printer at all to allow the CISS to work? The 4500 is supposed to have such tight clearance that the tubes ontop of the cartridges would hit the case.

I think if you read more of the threads here, you will find that it's okay to mention where/who you bought your CISS from and the specific. If you find one that works for you, people here will WANT to know about it so they can check it out for themselves. Me included.

I haven't bought my refill ink or resetter yet but I was planning to do so this week, so any specific information you can provide would be very much appreciated. PLEASE!!

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Cuteguy258,

You probably know that the IP4500 automatically switches between PGI-5 pigment black to CLI-8 dye black when you choose photo paper. It will never use the pigment black when choose photo paper as printing media. Maybe you have mistaken the IP4500 for another Canon printer ?

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
cuteguy258, thanks for the information. Dye ink in the PGI-5 cartridge.... I'm sure it's fine but I think I'll stay away, for now. I'd like to find a good US sourced CISS before I consider one. Until then, I'm going to give refilling a go.