Revisiting the inkmon design

InkMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am looking to redesign the Inkmon programs. I cannot access the printer driver but I do realise the re calibration (fine Tuning) is a bit tricky to some so I will look into that.
As far as using the printer as a copier. The only way I can think to include these outputs into the logging is to scan to file then print. Does take a bit longer but makes the monitor more accurate. Print jobs range from say 10KB to several MB. I thought I could add a slider and no. copies control to add an estimate copier usage.
Any suggestions on this would help and get the genius the latest copy. As Stratman knows This software goes back over 6 years. He was one of the people who advised me on its development.
I have been involved in many other projects since so it is about time I checked out the refilling of printer cartridges again. My old HP 4 colour printer which started it is still churning away. I fill on 25% and I have not had to replace the two carts yet.

The main reason I am looking into this is as I am helping a friend with his printer, a Cannon that is costing him a motza in cartridge replacement

So any questions or criticism fire away

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Hello InkMon! Been a long time, my friend. :frow

Thanks for your kind words. I enjoyed working with your software. What Canon printer does your friend have? Maybe we can provide some alternate solutions.

InkMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi, How's it going

His is an old 4 colour two cartridge affair, haven't the model. It has leds lit to say they are empty and I believe will now stay on. No matter, I helped with his first fill and he is over the moon about it. Happy friend.

I told him about it not measuring copies and suggested he scan and then print the file. Could be a pain though but would work.

I am working on a USB Drive utility, sort of Robo Form, Iron Key and PortableApps on steroids and a replacement Autorun system for removable drives. I am completing the web pages and help files at the moment. I use the system each time I log on and when I help friends out. Beats taking CD's and whatnot with me to their places when they have computer problems. I am not a great expert but am good at a bit of impact maintenance occationally.
Added to my other creative arts such as painting I stay busy, especially as I am now the Vice President of the local Art Society. If interested I placed some of my efforts on photo bucket
http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa390/inkmon/

New Monitor
My thinking is to include a drop down panel with a list of possible usage options perhaps even allow for a cleaning cycle. Purely estimates but would give a closer result. If I were a great programmer I would re write printer drivers and control the whole shebang, that is wishful thinking I am afraid.

If you are interested in beta testing I would appreciate it. I will give others who have the 5 ink version the upgrade when finished.

Live long and well
G'Day for now
Terry

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Congratulations, Mr. Vice President! Thank you for sharing your paintings. Are the clouds that angry in your neck of the woods? I felt you created a mood where the church seems threatened by the clouds. :hide

I recall you were working on a RoboForm type app before. Sounds like you have expanded the scope of the project. I am always on the lookout for portable apps, especially those that are self-contained, standalone ones that don't install any other files. I know there are apps which can make portable files out of installed programs but have not dabbled with that. I do have a number of standalone apps that could run off a USB stick, but I don't have a use for that since my personal computing is done from home. I see RoboForm also has a product for USB use and one that is used from their own servers so you have your passwords available anywhere in the world. Don't use those products either but I do like the desktop version of RoboForm.

The reason I asked about your friend's printer model is that there are resetters available for most Canon printer models (actually most every chipped cartridge of Canon's). Seeing that your friend's printer is of the two cartridge with the print head on the cartridge variety, one a tri-color cartridge, there is no resetter that I am aware of. People do refill these cartridges with mixed results secondary to technique as well as durability of these cartridges. They are not a refiller's friend! Also, since this is an opaque tri-color cartridge, how will you account for ink usage when you cannot easily determine how much ink is left for each color? Let the color run dry? Aspirate each color of ink out of its separate reservoir to measure ml's? You certainly have a challenge on your hands, my friend!

One thought I have based on your desire to account for maintenance functions of the printer is that if you are able to obtain a Service Manual for this or similar model printer then you might read how much ink is consumed for various maintenance cycles and how often those cycles occur. This knowledge might help fine tune InkMon for that printer.

I truly enjoyed working with your InkMon application and thank you for the opportunity to be a part of your creation. If I were using a printer that did not have the ability to have the chipped cartridges reset then I would want to use InkMon. For now, I am well situated with my resetter.

Best wishes to you and your family. Enjoy your coming summer. We are slowly heading towards winter here on the other side of the planet. Think of us one warm summer evening after you've painted and are relaxing with a cool beverage and a thick juicy steak hot off the grill. :drool

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
HP printers are indeed a pain in the neck, because the monitor is completely disabled when you refill. I encourage you in your efforts.

Another problem you might think about is that many people have several printers. I myself have two Linux computers, which I sometimes boot in Windows XP, and a Windows 7 netbook. I normally just monitor by keeping logs and checking the printer statistics kept on the printer itself. They keep rather detailed statistics on what kinds of pages have been printed, but it's far from perfect.

InkMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have advised my friend in this procedure. Go with the pre set settings and when say 20% is reported used then fill each colour including black recording how many mills. are used to fill each. from the accumulated log a reasonably accurate value of ml per MB can be calculated.
I will give it some deeper thought. by the way That church was in the dear old US of A. I am looking out right now and there are no clouds here, not that we do not get them, when it really rains it floods.
Catch you all later got some programming to do. I will consider multi printers maybe 4 max. I wonder how many would be interested.
Terry

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
InkMon said:
That church was in the dear old US of A. I am looking out right now and there are no clouds here
Well that figures. There are dark clouds malingering over the USA these days. Let's hope the church in your painting weathers the storm as we must do here for the time being.

Sounds like your InkMon program has come along a ways since I last used it. Excellent!