Revisiting Resetter problems for Epson 3880 - And related stuff.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Roy, if you punched before, there is no need to drill. I used a sewing pin that is about 2-3 ins long with a big white blob at the top.
Once you remove the retaining ring, remove the sealing gasket, then the poppet, paying attention to which end is UP and then remove the spring...you can lift up using the pin. You will notice two slots going down on opposite sides of the tunnel. Soak up the ink in the tunnel with a paper towel. You will use the pin to go down the slot. When it stops, note the depth. You will punch through about 1/8" further but to the left and right side of the slot. I use the slot and I punch diagonally left and right of the slot at the bottom of each side of the slot. I punch four holes but I think two is enough. I would rather not drill for fear of the shavings and the pin punch is so much easier. You will be done in less time than it takes to install the drill bit. When reassembling, check to make sure that the sealing ring is hooked back on and lays flat. It takes about 2-3 mins to complete the operation.

Another reason to remove the ring is that if the punching pin is too wide, it will distort the edge of the poppet valve. This can cause the valve to leak when the cart is removed from the printer. By taking it apart, it keeps everything in perfect condition and the perfect seal is retained even when removed from the printer.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Mike,

Thanks for all the invaluable information. You guys on this forum really are amazing with the knowledge you share so selflessly. I speak as somebody who invariably over-thinks things and causes more problems than probably necessary.

Will PM you later today about the resetter which is working fine now. Don't tell anybody I was the idiot causing the problem.

Roy

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Yess neddle thin is plenty!!! All you are trying to do is negate the ability of the sealling disk to seal! Once that little 2mm diameter clear disk is no longer able to seal to prevently you push ink IN, you are good to go. Ink will still be able to flow ouot and into the printer as normal. That's disk's only function is to prevent ink from being pushed back into the cart's ink bag. Drilling is ok but MAKE SURE you do not pucture the bag. That's why I thought the even if ytou dismantle the valve body, you would stil be able to easily dislodge the rear cap either completely or even partialy if you are worried. Either will work. As once the rear cap is no longer perfectly seated on the rear of the valve body, the little sealing disk can no longe seal!

Joe

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Roy, if you punched before, there is no need to drill. I used a sewing pin that is about 2-3 ins long with a big white blob at the top.
Once you remove the retaining ring, remove the sealing gasket, then the poppet, paying attention to which end is UP and then remove the spring...you can lift up using the pin. You will notice two slots going down on opposite sides of the tunnel. Soak up the ink in the tunnel with a paper towel. You will use the pin to go down the slot. When it stops, note the depth. You will punch through about 1/8" further but to the left and right side of the slot. I use the slot and I punch diagonally left and right of the slot at the bottom of each side of the slot. I punch four holes but I think two is enough. I would rather not drill for fear of the shavings and the pin punch is so much easier. You will be done in less time than it takes to install the drill bit. When reassembling, check to make sure that the sealing ring is hooked back on and lays flat. It takes about 2-3 mins to complete the operation.

Another reason to remove the ring is that if the punching pin is too wide, it will distort the edge of the poppet valve. This can cause the valve to leak when the cart is removed from the printer. By taking it apart, it keeps everything in perfect condition and the perfect seal is retained even when removed from the printer.

You may not really be punching any actual holes, but instead you are simply dislodging the rear cap that holds the sealing disk. In fact I've been only dislodging on side of it and all works perfectly. If you have taken one of these valves completely off the cart body and bag you will clearly see what I mean. The cap simple snaps onto two lateral dimples. If you dislodge both dimples the cap falss off the valve and floats inside the ink bag. There is no problem with that. If you only do one side then the caps remains simi attached and you still can refill.

Joe