Resetter disasters

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
My PGI-8/CLI-8 resetter from Precision Color has a bottom that unscrews for access to the battery. I specifically ordered that one rather than the sealed bottom unit. It did cost more than the cheap ones that are available from other sources, but it has worked perfectly so far, and I can change the battery if need be.

I have had one OEM cart with a chip that would not reset after a few refills. I'm sure that more will follow!

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
Like ink, not all resetters are the same there’re are a lot of scammers pushing rubbish out there, it all depend on where you buy from.

Now the cheapest part of the equation are the chips then the resetter and then the print head, of the three the chips are the easiest to replace and move on from but as you say “Each to their own” I reckon you might want to stock up on a couple of print heads..

One shouldn't have to find out the hard way which resetters work or don't, have crappy batteries or not. When you can't the resetter from a major ink and graphics house like MIS, who can you? (I'm presuming that my eBay resetters are the same, they look it, and many sellers have them for sale. Whoddathunk?)

I've never had to buy a print head because of running out of ink. Maybe I'm just some kind of weird person who found out the very hard way, A) no problems ever when bypassing the ink monitor, and B) immense problems, aggravation, and costs when trying to use a resetter.

What part of my experience isn't registering? If you want to use a resetter, who am I to argue beyond sharing my experience? If I don't want to use a resetter anymore, based on real experiences, who are you to argue?

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
As an illustration of how some people reason: a few months ago I bought a printer (a Canon PRO9500) from a couple who used a resetter and a scale only to empty the last drop from the cartridges.
When the printer indicated the cartridge empty, they resetted it, noted the weight, and regularly rechecked this until the minimum of 17,5 g (and they had still 1g reserve :)).
They refused to use 3th party ink (and I must admit, their prints on Canon paper were flawless).

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
What part of my experience isn't registering? If you want to use a resetter, who am I to argue beyond sharing my experience? If I don't want to use a resetter anymore, based on real experiences, who are you to argue?
Funny you should say that because it was you who started this thread “Resetter Disasters” we on the other hand were only trying to solve some of the issues you mentioned.. ! :hu

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Apparently some people can use resetters successfully and some people simply can not!

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Apparently some people can use resetters successfully and some people simply can not!
:lol:
From this post,
http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/resetter-disasters.9555/#post-77503
some people in addition to not being able to or wanting to use a resetter can not use a volt meter either and put the probes on the external metal pins of the resetter to check the voltage ;)

In fact im even shocked some people can not use a screwdriver to leaver open a sealed resetter to get inside it, i guess 4 dabs of glue really does defeat some people ;) while others that even took the time to post here ages ago had some better luck...
http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/rks-chip-resetter-aka-redsetter-review-and-battery-mod.2765/

There are those that read and learn and those that believe they do not need to read or learn, i wonder what this falls under :D

EDIT: Puts on psychic hat and predicts next reply.... Second link i provided is far too much work for some :)

PS:
Oh and in case it were not obvious like most people i have not had a single issue with my battery based resetter. I bought mine from the excellent Octoink, rather than some nameless ebay seller though. It has been perfect, reset 3 sets of carts (so 15 carts total) 3 times now, so thats 45 resets, which by all accounts is tiny compared to many users here.

Last edited:

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
My older battery powered resetter has reset thousands of CLi-8s. My yellow CLI-42 chip has seen over 1000 resets by unique resetters. I've also seen chips die on the first reset as well.

Resetters can fail and so can chips as well. Chips can be also be damaged during handling.

First thing many need to get into their heads....

Resetters are not INSTANT resets. You need to hold them steady and against the contact pins for a period of time. This can last as low as a fraction of a second or seconds depending on the resetter model and speed of the bus and complexity of what is being done.

First, they must communicate with the chip and confirm the chip is the correct ID.
Second...they then must determine what reset procedures are required for the particular chip.
Then they must write data to the chip. ..critical step.
After that they must confirm the data is written.
Then they light up again to notify something...like it is finished,

Here's how to cause damage to a chip. Remove it immediately after the first blink. It will have likely done step two and onto step three.
This is similar to removing a USB flash drive while a file is being tranferred to it from your PC...what likely ensues is a corrupted USB drive. Sometimes totally corrupted and must be reformatted. Well something similar happens to the chip as the resetter is writing data to it. It can garble the chip up. Sometimes it is not recoverable.

The above is the most frequent scenario....users see the first flash and think it is done..... remove it right away. WRONG.

If the reset is done properly and it still does not work....then if it is a battery powered device, consider replacing the battery. Most batteries for resetters are one to two dollars.

And yes, sometimes resetters do fail and go bad just like any other electronic device.

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
I think for any chip to fail you either have to be
1 unlucky or
2 what is more likely (as you mention) not reset it properly/damage something.

The unlucky part is even more unlikely when the OP clearly states in the opening post they had tried two different resetters. So unlikely to be battery related either.

If others can reset their carts fine and you can reset 1000's then IMO its more likely user error, be it unintentionally damaging the resetter, chip or just not using it correctly.

The OP does also say in the opening post "I tried every cleaning method I could think of on the chips and the wires they connect with." Perhaps that damaged the chips or resetter (i suppose it depends on how they cleaned both and did they allow any fluid used time enough to dry/evaporate?) I for example would not try to reset a cart straight after flushing (id do it before) because obviously straight after you are asking for issues (water + electrical things never mixes well).

What ever the case im very happy with my resetter.

The chip resetter you sell milking for cli-8 carts (assuming the pictures are correct) is an entirely different to the red-setter one i got from octoink, both what you sell and what octoink sell are obviously good quality devices, capable of many,many,many trouble free resets. So i doubt it is brand related either.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I once even had to heat up CLI-8 cleaning cart in microwave with chip on the cart !
I understood what I have done when it was too late I thought - to my amazement the cart works fine ! I've done this several times now - cart still works !

So what you have to say about this?