Replace a CLI-8 Push piece/handle and clip silicon seals

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Couple of things first, long time silent reader of the forum but never posted before. Second that title may make no sense (im not sure what you call the piece on the cartridge ill use an image later). Third apart from the little issues below a big thank you to Octoinkjet/Martin/Websnail for delivering an order of so many various parts so quick and so accurately, i was so worried ordering so many little bits something would be wrong (who else has been there with other companies?), but nope everything correct. :)

So quick outline of the issue decided it was about time to enter the refill world with my Canon MP610. Ive started using my printer more and more recently so thought i may as well save some money.

Placed an order for a chip resetter, ink, empty cli8/pgi5 carts, plugs, squeeze caps, flush clips etc etc from Octoinkjet (thanks again Martin/websnail). Order arrived next day and well packed, i have no doubt it will be £80+ well spent :)

Now the issue one of the cartridges i received the plastic locking tab/handle/bit near where the chip mounts at the bottom (probably best below i use an generic image IE not my actual cartridge my problem is with a cyan cart at this point and circle in red what i am refering to) has an issue.

clipushclip.jpg

The plastic is worn very weak (its like that handle/locking part has been bent back and forth many times) feels like it is going to snap off any moment just above the chip. There is no push resistance left to it and i can see a slight fracture/flaw where it would bend/flex slightly when you place it in the printer. Anyone thats had a little tab/clip on a RJ45 Network cable weaken and then break off will know what i mean its basically the same problem as that.

So my query is can i in anyway remove and replace that part with one from another cartridge? It looks like if you leaver the black piece at the top of the cart it may release it but i have not dared tried and instantly came here for advice.

To be fair and before anyone in typical internet fashion thinks it, this is not a moan at Octoinkjet. They delivered my order quick and efficiently, i do not even expect direct assistance from Martin and have not even emailed him about it. I fully understand its a used cart and sold as such with no warranty. However if anyone has some tips to fix it, if even possible it would be appreciated.

I also had a slight second (ive been here) quirk actually more comedy ;) with my order, one of the clips on the 2 sets of carts i ordered had no silicon seal, i imagine the slippery swine made a leap for freedom at some point probably as poor Martin sat there struggling with clipping up 10 carts hehe. (my lord they can be a pain when new to clip fully in place, as said ive been there lol) ill just hot glue the pin hole on the clip outlet part to solve that though, may the silicon washer that earned his freedom enjoy his new life :).

PS The flush clips are of amazingly good quality and work amazingly well. Im loving them, have purged the black carts already, gonna tackle the colours as soon as the printer starts moaning for ink (yeah im too lazy to flush them before that lol).

Anyways ill cut it there as its getting more essay then a call for advice.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
I think I know what you are talking about.

A couple of years ago I made an offer on ebay for some empty CLI-220 cartridge for my second printer. A Canon MX870.

The cartridges that were supplied exhibited the conditions you describe. I figured the flexible extension would soon break off and render the cartridge unusable. Fortunately this has not happened and I am still happily refilling them. Every time I refill, it crosses my mind that this will be the last refill for that particular cartridge, but like the energizer bunny they just "keep on trucking". Possibly the stress on that part is not extreme.

Also recommend you contact Martin. He is a respected participator on these forums, and I am sure he will be able to either rectify any problems with his products, or put your mind at rest.

Good luck with your refilling. You are now into the serious money saving part of refilling.

Your mileage may vary.

Roy Sletcher

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
To reinforce the clip before it breaks off completely you can smear on a small amount of glue, like a two part adhesive (Araldite) or you can use hot glue, when that fails after several uses then just remove the old glue and coated it again with more.

For your missing silicone washer hot glue will also work for that, just squeeze in a small amount of glue wait a couple of seconds for it to cool slightly, then place the cartridge (Moisten first) into the clip and the glue will mould to the shape of the cartridge outlet, remove the cartridge after a minute or two to see the results.

It would be better to purge all of the cartridges at once and set them aside till your ready to tackle the refill procedure, patients is require to refill properly so you don’t want to rush it and make a mess..

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Thanks for the replies, the cartridge is basically scrap, before flushing and refilling it I decided to trial fit it in my printer over the weekend and it got wedged in there. It was a nightmare to remove. Where there is no push resistance on the handle when you press the teeth/grooved part on the handle of the cartridge (IE the bit you push to remove a cli-8 cart from your printer, i hope that makes sense) meant it got stuck and could not be unclipped/unclamped from the printer. I spent the next few hours finding something thin enough to slide between the clip, and cart carriage to get it to release and remove it. Needless to say it will not be going back anywhere near it lol, thankfully though not tested the rest should be fine.

The cartridge clip missing silicon seal thing is no big deal really, your suggestion about making a kind of mold with hot glue is a good one The Hat :)

I also have potential bigger problems now. My 60ml syringe is also basically knackered. It managed to just about flush/purge one of the two sets of cartridges and now the plunger part of it is too stiff to move in the syringe. Can not even insert it into the syringe unless i put a smear of washing up liquid around the edge of the rubber first. This then has to be repeated every fill of water to the syringe for it to function. No idea what has caused it apart from it being a cheap syringe, not up to the job of pushing under pressure and sucking. I rinsed it after every flush and used deionised water. The rubber plunger seems to have became soft and thus is spreading wider than when new meaning it just will not slide easy in the main body of the syringe. So now im stuck with a second set of carts i can not flush or not very easily. I had a feeling the syringes would not be much cop when i saw them, i had similar ones years ago for an old Espon C42 and the plungers would wear out quick on them or give a jerky action when in use, the ones with a rubber oring/washer design are much better.

Kind of a frustrating experience all round so far, i hope the chip resetter and the ink work out better when i get round to using them than the rest of the bits ive played with to this point, so far it is not looking like £80+ total well spent . :(

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The brand name of the syringes I use are Terumo and BD Plastipak 10, 20 and 60 ml sizes and the only time I came across that problem was when I fill one of them with Diesel fuel.

The plunger work fine for a short while but then got stuck in the barrel, when I eventually pulled it apart it wouldn’t go back together again, the rubber seal had reacted with the diesel, I guess.. :eek:

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
The ones i got are Plastipak i bought the syringe pack from octoinkjet with the rest of my order...
http://www.octoink.co.uk/products/Syringe-Refill-Bundle.html

All what has been in it is deionised water (i think i rinsed it out once with tap water) and since the issue a smear of washing up liquid around the rubber plunger see i could get it back in to finish flushing a single set of cartridges.

I think there was something wrong with it from the start as it was pretty stiff to begin with. Ive unpacked and used one of the 20ml syringes from the pack also (what i started to use as a replacement for flushing until i had the washing up liquid idea for the 60ml syringe) that 20ml syringe has only had water in it also and does not move entirely smoothly in its chamber, it binds ever so very slightly near the bottom/nozzle now and again, you hardly notice but its there, it was like that upon opening also.

The rest i have not bothered to open. I have a similar design 10ml syringe from my old Epson C42 days that came with a dirt cheap Jettec (at least i think it was jettec) universal refill kit and that works better and is 5+ years old. Not impressed with the syringes at all, they are probably heading to the bin along with the cyan cart that has issues. £8 quid worth of the order gone before i hardly did anything with it :(

If you have any suggestions on where else to get 60ml or bigger syringes for flushing it would be appreciated, id order another from octoinkject but for a single 60ml syringe at a reasonable £1.45 it is killed by the postage at between £2.82 (lowest postage) up to £7.43 (for next day). After spending what i have id rather not spend another £5-10(ish) on just a syringe. No idea why a single almost no value item like that can not just be sent 1st class normal post :idunno

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
I am flushing OEM cartridges like refilling (german method: syringe needle through the sponge), overflowing the cart several times with warm water, eventually with cleaning solution. So I have no further tips on flushing accessory...
..but in order to have good OEM carts in stock - I would buy a whole bunch of them on ebay, flush the good ones and leave or resell the rest..for example ebay item 360977633310

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Not sure i understand what you are saying. Using the german refill method for flushing to me does not seem a good idea. You would be removing the syringe multiple times to top it up with water, before re-injecting it back through the foam, removing it again etc which surely is not good for the foam part of the cartridge? Would also obviously take much, much longer to flush as water would not be under pressure when entering the foam part of the cartridge.

Im considering a garden pressure sprayer type device if i can find one cheap and attaching some hose to that and my flush clip, which hopefully will yield similar results to the syringe and flush clip method without the fragility of a poor syringe.

As to ebay thanks but i am in the UK, and i personally would never touch ebay for anything overseas. In fact i prefer where possible to avoid ebay all together, thats just me though.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Okay, flushing with a syringe this way is not fast, takes about 5 min each...but it works and my sponges are okay, no problems from multiple piercing here..
PS: As a photo fan and hobbyist I don't manage to avoid ebay, even if I want to, too much stuff is available only there.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Hi,

Just spotted this thread and read some of the issues you've hit but not been able to figure out your identity and contacting GCHQ for assistance seems like overkill so I'll just ask ;)

If you can drop me a quick message via the support email address (or PM on here) with your order reference and name along with some details of what you purchased and has gone awry I can sort things out.

Cheers :)