refilling using squeeze bottles - w/pics and video(new)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
irvweiner said:
Any thoughts about inserting a check valve into the squeeze needle assy?
Now that's thinking outside the... erm... bottle? ;) ... Good idea... Only one problem unfortunately (two actually) and that's cost plus the tendency of ink to clog any check valve. You'd also pretty much negate the convenience factor of not having to disassemble and flush the needle, etc... as well...

I'll definitely keep it in mind though...

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid!) prevails here. This is the very purpose of going to squeeze bottles instead of syringes. Many steps, including cleaning the syringes and needles, are avoided. Squeeze bottle needles are, for all practical purposes, self cleansing by simply holding the bottle upright and squeezing air in and out a few times (with a paper towel around it to avoid spray painting everything in its path!)

With the old top fill method that I still use is it quite simple to avoid withdrawing ink when releasing the pressure on the squeeze bottle by withdrawing the needle above the fluid level in the cart reservoir between squeezes. Theoretically the check valve is a great idea, but it solves a problem that is easily managed by creating another step of removing and cleaning the needle.

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
I wonder if the third and fourth items here are what Irv was thinking about:

http://www.valueplastics.com/search/fulllinedoublecheckvalves.aspx

But once you squeeze the bottle to supply ink, how how will air get back into the bottle for the next go? Unscrew the check valve?

This site has some fun items:

http://www.wpiinc.com/index.php/Lab-Supplies/Luers-and-Fittings/Luer-Fittings.html

Just think of the fun you could have, hook up the ink supply to a pump, use some tubing to a 3-port Manifold or 3-Way Stopcock and see how fast you could refill your carts. Squeeze bottles could be a distant memory :lol:

But I digress.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
agreed on the KISS principal. have been using squeeze bottles for nearly 2 years, see below for what works for me:

1. flip cartridge over, insert syringe w squeeze bottle
2. refill/squeeze ink until there is about 1/2" of air left in the chamber
3. release squeeze bottle to re-inflate w tip in the 1/2" air pocket, usually get some bubbles, but no harm
4. top off refilling ink, leaving small air bubble in corner, re inflate again
5. i always leave a small bubble in there, not worth the mess to try to max out and overfill

can also squeeze in a very small amount of ink, then release, do again, repeating until full. small steps vs big steps, either way gets you there

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors
Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
needed to refill my PGI-5 cartridge yesterday, so i took a shot at a quickie video:

- Canon PGI-5 ink cartridge refill using squeeze bottle
- chip reset using resetter
- much easier, quicker than syringes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G6MVUEgyjc

a bit of leakage due to rushing, also some fumble fingers when doing the reset

not the best quality video but gives an idea on the time savings for both refill and cleanup

comments ??

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors
Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
jimbo123

:) Looks like a job well done in record time all right, but..

I have a question?
Why do you do the reset after the cartridge is full and not before, and run the risk of spillage.. :|

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
jimbo123 said:
a bit of leakage due to rushing, also some fumble fingers when doing the reset

not the best quality video but gives an idea on the time savings for both refill and cleanup

comments ??
Aside from a competing resetter, and totally the wrong bottles... ;)

Looked ok... but it's occured to me that the whole refilling video thing could use a close up to show how the ink sits... You also rushed it a tad from what I could see as the sponge won't have absorbed a great deal and you were risking ink spurting out of the vent hole, which is also a no-no... (hark at me sounding like my mother! :/)

Mind you for all that... good first effort. :cool:

strobemonkey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
websnail said:
and totally the wrong bottles... ;)

:/)[/i]
:
I guess I'm using the right bottles :cool::cool::cool: ang I'm sure they are very tight but don't know what's wrong:

4955045630_259064249f_z.jpg

4955044736_a2c1503724_z.jpg

No matter what I do they still leak, so I have put some white tape (is it called ptfe?) round the bottles which helped.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
strobemonkey said:
I guess I'm using the right bottles :cool::cool::cool: ang I'm sure they are very tight but don't know what's wrong:
Looking at those images it looks a lot like the cyan bottle has some plastic spoil (waste) that's running up the side of the seam so removing that might help.

If you have only pierced rather than removed the foil seal you might want to remove the seal completely as they can also help create leaks.

As for the Black 1128 bottle that looks like it could use tightening a bit more... I've found that when the cap bulges slightly that it tends to have sealed properly.

All of that aside though, it seems there's a definite need to look into some kind of grommet or similar to sit in the cap and help improve the seal.

No matter what I do they still leak, so I have put some white tape (is it called ptfe?) round the bottles which helped.
PTFE tape is a good work-around for now certainly, but definitely not ideal...

I'll look into it, as I said, and get a solution organised.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Just quickly wanted to update as the issue of leaking caps has reared its ugly head a couple of times now, enough that I've discounted the end-user (as if they were ever to blame ;)) and found a common cause (as well as a reasonable solution).

The problem is that some inks in particular have an innate ability to seek out and exploit any potential path out of a container while water wouldn't. One particularly cunning culprit are Cyan inks and these are proving very adept at this escape act.

I've taken a long hard look at what's going on and found a solution that doesn't require a potential pollutant to be used (ie: a sealant) but also, doesn't add significantly to the cost/price.

In a nutshell, it's the good old O'ring...

So, if anyone has already purchased a SquEasyFill kit from me and hit this issue (Rob I know you are one) then drop me a line (with your original order details) and I'll send you the relevant rings.

I should note this is not a fool proof solution and a fair bit of testing indicated that you can still force ink out around the O'ring if you work at it, but reasonable pressures (ie: those used for refilling) shouldn't have the same problems as before.

The O'rings are on order for delivery Monday at the latest so I'll be shipping them out soon... I'll also be contacting kit owners directly anyway by email but figured it was worth letting folks know I've not swept the issue under the carpet...

...It'd stain the carpet for starters ;)