Refilling empty cartridge?

Parhs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Something went wrong and i started to have problems. I get ink starvation problems for CYAN and MAGENTA.All problems started when i droped isopropylic alcoohol into cyan - printhead for a minor stable problem i had always had with cyan (clloged nozzle propably) after using an OCP cartridge. At the begining there was no banding at all but after draining the cartidgges due to extensive nozzle checks i got banding only at these colors even after refilling. Other colours have excellent nozzle check and no banding etc.

I have flushed a cyan CLI 521 months ago. I searched how to refill it but couldnt find any info. I sealed with the ball again and then used german method. I let it sit for a while started to print and got banding again. Then i forced ink via the german method to fill the ink chamber ,banding occured again.No matter which CYan i use i get almost same problems...

How do we fill a flushed cartridge?

I am going to buy a cyan OEM tommory to test whats going ,then i 'll get a Magenta also.. I am using IS ink.....

I tried to clean the print head but nothing helped.

I have an ultrasonic cleaner.. i am going to try it if nothing else work

Any ideas?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Are you refilling OEM Canon cartridges? Do you notice anything unusual in or about these cartridges?

Posting a pic of your nozzle check would be the most helpful first step. A second step might be flushing the problem cartridges and try refilling and printing again.

Buying a new OEM Canon cartridge for the problem color(s) may help narrow what the problem is, but you may want to wait for members to examine your nozzle check picture first or try flushing the cartridges before spending money.

Both top filling and refilling using the Durchstich method work well. Years of experience on this forum prove their utility. It could be you need to flush the cartridge again, you have improperly sealed the top fill hole, or your refilling technique needs remediation.

Reports on using ultrasonic cleaners on print heads usually lean towards warnings to not use them as they may damage the print head. There are people who claim success in using them, though.

Parhs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here it is. I use OEM only. However Cyan the 2 first(dark and less dark cyan) were almost perfect after printing nozzle check from head soaking in distilled water and glass cleaner.After that it starts to deteriorate.Only after a head clean it becomes a little better.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Except for the bluish discoloration in the bottom half of the image, I don't notice anything wrong with the nozzle check. Otherwise, you will need to explicitly point out the problem with the image for me.

If you also believe the nozzle check is perfect, then you can try the suggestions I wrote above: flush the old cartridges or purchase new ones to try. If the problem occurs with new OEM Canon cartridges then the issue is the print head or something else with the printer. If the problem does not occur with the new cartridges then the problem stems from your old cartridges.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
When you say "Banding" are you talking banding due to non firing nozzles as in blank areas or are you talking about overlapping of printer passes due to a bad misaligned print head? I ask that because your nozzle check actually looks pretty good to me.

Parhs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
iF i print a cyan thing /magenda i get ink starvation! (white areas apear after a while)

Hainz

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
E R3000, P50, C 4500, MP610
Like problem I'm had, as I have been using ink OCP. Bad print was only at colours Cyan. At other ink (InkTec, JetTec, Octopus...) was everything OK. Problems are only at OCP C122 And C145. At C95 this problem is not.

Quote perceptions by other users from other forums:

"Unfortunately I'm experiencing a problem with IJC-122 OCP ink. It does not come enough after 3 or 4 A4 fully painted sheet. I have to put the printer to rest some seconds before cyan ink flux comes back. And it does not come 100% back as after turning the printer on after a larger resting period. I already tested that ink with two different new reffilable cartridges and an OEM one, different printhead and printer, but no success. The only solution was to go back to my old inks, which are not so specific for Canon printers nor have the same gamut size of OCP's. But at least they work flawlessly. I concluded there are something wrong with the IJC-122 batch I purchased from. I tried to request a sample from OCP but they forwarded me to the local retailer, which does only have inks from the very same batch.....

The problem is that the cyan ink flow doesn't hold more than 3 fully painted pages. Sometimes even lesser. After that, it becomes to progressively fail, so I have to wait a minute or so before continuing to print. That's not normal and occurs only with OCP cyan ink. I already tested with different printer, another printhead, different cartridge (empty brand-new and flushed OEM) and ink brand. The only variable that fix the problem is changing the ink. "

Parhs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I use colours from Octoink. I just bought a new canon CYAN banding seems that it is fixed.After a cleaning it prints perfect blue.. I had the same issue with Octoink cyan before.I am wondering whether it has any problem.

Here is how it was with Octoink and then with Canon OEM

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Parhs:

Please do not print over or use the back side of paper that has something else printed on it. You may confuse the issue and get unhelpful information. Also, did you know you can upload images within the body of your message using Nifty-Stuff's "Upload" function?

The image with octoink show banding which can be due to ink starvation as you've said. The new OEM Canon cartridge also looks like there is banding even though you stated it did not. If you are no longer having banding with the new OEM Canon cartridge then the issue most likely is a malfunctioning old cartridge. Try flushing the cartridge thoroughly, refill, and try again. Sometimes cartridges become unreliable for various reasons and you just need to purchase a new one to refill.

If the problem colors continue even after replacing with new OEM Canon cartridges then your issue is either print head or some other issue within the printer.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Parhs, I believe there is a possibility of ink being the problem. Inks I was using 2 years ago where exhibiting this problem, perfect nozzle checks and good photos, but ink starvation issues in large areas of color especially on plain paper modes.

You could try refilling with a sample of Cyan from a another ink vendor and see if the problem continues.