refilled PGI-220BK for Canon MX860 didn't last long

BostonFern

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I refilled the black ink tank in my Canon MX860 about three months ago. It's completely empty now. I actually haven't used this printer that much, and am scratching my head. After some online investigation, I think two possible causes that are stated below. I will appreciate people's input on what the right cause is , and answering my questions.

The possible causes for the ink run out quickly are:

1. Canon MX860 naturally consumes a lot of black ink.
It's normal to replace the cartridge after 3 months of light use.

2. The ink has leaked out from ink tank because

A. The refilling hole wasn't sealed right.
The refilling kit didn't include a screw to seal the hole I drilled. The eBay seller wrote that covering the hole with scotch tape is good enough, and which is what I used. I'm wondering whether this is a good method.

B. Ink leaking from ink tank is normal and expected.
When I refilled the ink tank, I found the ink leaked out easily. It seems the ink would also leak in the printer too.

People said the leaked ink ends in a ink reservoir in the printer, and once the reservoir full, the ink will be flow outside the reservoir. Is there a way I can open up the printer and take a look at the ink reservoir?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
BostonFern A. The refilling hole wasn't sealed right.
The eBay seller wrote that covering the hole with scotch tape is good enough,
and which is what I used.
I'm wondering whether this is a good method.
When I refilled the ink tank, I found the ink leaked out easily.
It seems the ink would also leak in the printer too.
Above is your answer you got it in two.:woot

Never refill from the top of your cartridge without sealing the refill hole 100%
Tape is clearly not suitable as you have found out the hard way,
so dont go pulling apart your printer looking for the spilled ink, theres no need.

If you do a search on this forum you will get more than enough ways
to seal up your cartridge to prevent any leaks in the future.

Next time buy your cartridges and ink from a better source where you can get
reliable information and not end up having a lot of problems later ok..:(

BostonFern

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks. It's depressing to know I've been screwed by an ebay seller. Now I'm researching on this forum on how to seal the hole.

I'm also wondering whether I can clean out the ink reservoir somehow to prevent it from overflow one day. Can this be done? If yes, how?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
BostonFern I'm also wondering whether I can clean out the ink reservoir somehow to prevent it from overflow one day.
Can this be done? If yes, how?
Yes it can but to be honest its a bit of a messy job and should only be done when your printers shows a warning
of almost full and even then it still can be left till you get the second full warning.

The printer is capable of storing a lot of waste ink and it takes a long time to build up in side so dont be too worried about it.. :)