Refiiled autoreset chips for Canon MP620 problem

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
You didn't tell what kind of cartridges you bought. But if they are Canon OEM's and you are using standard plugs to seal a top fill hole, there might be a clearance issue. See this thread: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6695 So before drilling any holes its better to check the clearance.

If a plug causes the print head carriage to jam this could strip some gears and ruin the printer. It could also pull a plug from the fill hole causing the cartridge to empty itself through the print head causing cross contamination and a mess inside the printer.

Instead of cutting into your printer as mentioned in the thread you could try to locate some low profile plugs without lips as mentioned by websnail in the last post.

An alternative refill method, that does not use plugs is the"German Method" Here you find excellent instructions by pharmacist : http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4315

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Even if you buy OEM cartridges and refill using the top fill method or the German method you may still get clogging if your ink is not good quality.

Unless I have missed it, you have not said what type of ink you are using?

Some very cheap inks will clog the head.

Most of the regular members here use good quality inks from several manufacturers, which if you do a search on the forum you will find are listed in a very useful post.

Rockitman60

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Apparently the empty cartridges l bought,wont work in Canada or U.S.
I"m using Ritec ink ,which l think is good.
No clogging.
Yes plug clearance is tricky.
Maybe electrical tape over the hole?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Maybe your resetter can change your European cartridges into American ones ? See this post : http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=46485#p46485 post number 9.

I don't think tape will seal the fill hole properly. You risk the ink emptying out inside your printer. Hot melt glue might be a better solution.

Rockitman60

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I"m buying oem cartridges Tuesday.
What is the best way to store the cartridges l previously filled?
Zip lock bags with air let out?
The plan was to let the oem cartridges get low,take off the chips and put them on my new (previously filled)compatible cartridges. :D

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Rockitman60 The plan was to let the oem cartridges get low,take off the chips and put them on my new (previously filled)compatible cartridges
Good plan alright but you run the risk of getting into the ink flow problems that you mentioned in your first thread.
Why not just reset the chips on your newly purchased OEM cartridges then refill them and dump the compatibles.

You can always take the ink out of the other cartridges and put it in the OEMs when needed..
Compatibles are a good reliable cheap alternative to OEM cartridges alright
but tend to fall down miserably when it comes to repeated refilling..:(

Rockitman60

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The only problem is drilling holes in the cartridges.