Refiiled autoreset chips for Canon MP620 problem

Rockitman60

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I recently filled my Canon (MP620) cartridges which have the autorest chips.The cartridges were clear and empty.After filling the cartridges an d placing them back in the printer l keep getting the U140 ink level error.I tried different reset methods and downloaded the service tool to rest the eeprom-to no avail.I had refilled cartridges in before,but the magenta ink gave me trouble.It got low,l refilled it but it never seemed to work properly-amount of in flow.kept getting streaks.Thinking that that cartridge got so low that the printer thought it was empty giving me the ink error.I tried to reset it but the resetter gave only a dim light instead of bright light.If l replace the magenta cartridge with an oem will my problem be solved?Dont feel like paying $80 for 5 cartridges.The cost of a new printer :(
Never had a prob refilling the older cartridges before(at least 10 X)Thanks

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Rockitman60
Some ARC chips work and some dont thats the chance you take using them.
Compatible cartridges are a good way of keeping your printing costs down
but tend to fail when refilled simple because they dont perform very well after that.

Try refilling your OEM cartridges that came with your printer and youll have no problems with chip compatibility.
So what youll need is OEM cartridges good quality inks a resetter and you can print away with no problems..:)

Rockitman60

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks Hat.I ordered a service manual off Ebay-didnt help.
I also ordered a service repair fault reset disc for MP620-crossing my fingers!:D
Will post an update once l receive it.
If l choose to buy and refill oem cartridges,what stops pieces of plastic form getting into the printhead,or would pieces just sit outside the sponge?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I don't get the idea of using a resetter with autoreset chips ?

But the behaviour of the resetter could mean that is needs a new battery. I have the original redsetter for PGI-5/CLI-8 cartridges. Normally you get a bright flash when you attach a cartridge to the resetter and after a few seconds you get a steady red light indicating that the cartridge is resat. When the battery wears out you only get a dim flash and no steady light.

The U140 error could mean a cartridge not properly detected, due to the chip being defective or not properly resat.

The ink level you can reset with the service tool is not remaining ink in the cartridges but the ink contained in the ink absorbers inside the printer. You reset that level after changing the absorbers.

If you only have ink flow problems with magenta, I would recommend changing that cartridge with a new OEM or compatible with chip.

Rockitman60

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I used the resetter because the the new cartriges with auto reset chips didnt register-no ink error.
When l had refilled the older cartridges the magenta gave a dull light compared to the others.
All new cartidges should work now,but l think the magenta gave the printer a red flad,causing my problem.
3 solutions-all new cartriges-oem,reset thru the cdl l ordered ,change the magenta cartridge.
I"m assuming that since all new filled cartidges are in the printer now,the new magenta cartridge idea wont work.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Probably in 100% of cases you cannot "Reset" a autoreset chip with a resetter. They are meant to reset only OEM chips. Just what exactly are you trying to reset with this "CD"?

You might have to first get a full set of OEM carts and go from there.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
You don't need to spend $80 to get a set of Canon OEM carts. Search the web for Canon empty virgin carts. They will be fine for refilling and your resetter should work with them.

Follow the advise from The Hat. Only Canon OEM carts should be refilled. You may be lucky finding third party cartridges, which will work satisfactorily, but they should never be refilled. You risk problems with inkflow, and ink starvation can burn out your printhead.

Rockitman60

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hope it works.Maybe by next Friday.
Description of service disc on Ebay:
One of the most common causes of The MP560/620 refusing to print and generating error messages is the waste ink absorber.
This Disc will reset this error message for you and get you back printing.
This Disc has been programmed to reset the internal software of both the MP560 & MP620, returning the printer to its factory condition, and rendering any service faults obsolete.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Rockitman60 Hope it works.Maybe by next Friday.
Description of service disc on Ebay
One of the most common causes of The MP560/620 refusing to print and generating error messages is the waste ink absorber.
This Disc will reset this error message for you and get you back printing.
This Disc has been programmed to reset the internal software of both the MP560 & MP620,
returning the printer to its factory condition, and rendering any service faults obsolete.
Why are you messing around with the waste ink absorber when it is clearly a chip problem you are having.
As far as the service Disc is concerned if you go messing around with the eeprom chip you could end up with a dead printer
if you dont know what youre doing and in this case I dont think you do at all.
:th
If you try to reset an ARC chip with a resetter it tend to have the opposite effect
and will end up killing the ARC chip all together as already stated by jtoolman.

If you continue to use compatible cartridges as said before youll have ink issues, therere not great after only one or two refills
and ARC chips are only meant to be reset by the printer to function properly (Automatic Reset Chip) so dont do it manually yourself.

Take PeterBJ advice and get some empty OEM cartridges on EBay for a few Dollars
and it will fix up all of your problems and youll have no more error messages..:)

Rockitman60

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Today,l"m buying a new set of cartridges.My question now is, before the in gets too low,can l drill a small hole and refill it?
I already have the ink,and l"ll use the plugs from the compatible cartidges .