Referb Epson R3000 and refillable carts and inks

Andrew1937

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Mikling, I couldn't understand your last post. Are you saying you initialized a R3000 using 3rd party inks and you had a hard time doing it? If there was a problem, what was the problem? I'll be initializing my referb R3000 with 3rd party inks when I receive it this Monday. I'm hoping I don't run into any problems.

Thank you
Andrew

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I had been using a long cable and this was causing freezing of the printer and communication errors. Using a short USB cable seems to have settled this printer. We shall see.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
mikling said:
I had been using a long cable and this was causing freezing of the printer and communication errors. Using a short USB cable seems to have settled this printer. We shall see.
You could try using a powered USB hub at the end of your cable then that will solve your commutations problem with the printer. :)

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
with my Epson 1400 I was told to always use the OEM cartridges that come with the printer at the start and then to do the switch over to the refillable cartridges. This has worked for me. On one occasion the 1400 shut down after giving me the (This printer has reached the end of it's useful life etc. etc. etc) Note, I'm still using this "useless" printer today with grand results by the way!
To get the printer working I had to use OEM cartridges but I cheated a bit and bought refilled OEM cartridges with OEM chips at a cost of around $4.25 per unit. That seemed to reset things on the "Useless printer" and when I changed back to the refillable dampers and chip set (RATF) it all worked as before, and is still going today! (AH! The games these printer companies play).

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Just an afterthought!
If you have ever experienced the printer shut down notice, you have also seen the reasons they give to justify shutting your printer down. For example I remember reading that the printer was shut down to protect me from the ghastly possibility of getting ink tank overflow which could ruin my desk and carpet as waves of overflow ink cascaded from the base of the printer etc!
Scary stuff to be sure but not near as scary( to me) than what they had just done which was to shut down the printer that was working perfectly minutes before with the prospect of having to spend several hundreds of dollars and my time to acquire another printer. They already told me that to repair the printer would not be cost effective. Is it just me or is that kind of like hearing the words ( Don't move, this is a hold up!) . By the way I was note a bit worried about the horrible ink overflow problem as I had an installed wast ink tank from the beginning on my printer. Also I have never actually heard of anyone having a major problem with ink spilling out over the desk, have any of you? I figure the worst case scenario I'd put a drip pan under the printer! By the way the waste ink tanks show visibly how much ink is used in a head cleaning. I never use the built in head cleanings anymore. Outoftheinkwell.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Back when I got my 1st new R1900, I initiated it on a CIS ( company not important ) and had zero problems.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
jtoolman said:
Back when I got my 1st new R1900, I initiated it on a CIS ( company not important ) and had zero problems.
That was well before Epson started to put out updates to prevent everybody doing the same. :(

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Quite a bit of misunderstanding on these issues. On the 1400 it is question of what was on the aftermarket chipset. If you had been following the evolution of what was going on in this model, initially the 1400s had this nice firmware (the first year or so) that allowed aftermarket chips with the correct programming to reset themselves without any intervention whatsoever and would reset all at the same time. Just prior to that the narrower brother to the 1400, the R260 also had firmware that did that also did that but the aftermarket chips at the time could not initialize the printer from the start. The aftermarket chips had to grab some data that the 260 put inside the memory of the printer and thereafter it was good. But the key to note here is that it that the Epson firmware evolved and the aftermarket chips also evolved at the same time in a catchup fashion. So depending on the chip and the firmware on the Epson printer, you could have different results.

Not many would follow this evolutionary path so the results obtained by posters to the internet can be extremely anecdotal pertaining to their unique situation and thenothers take as gospel...but the underlying factors are not released. ..nor can be as it is not easy to find the firmware version sitting inside the printer. Like I said , the early 1400s had nice firmware best suited for a ciss but Epson fixed that. A similar situation may have arisen on the 1430 until the aftermarket people play catchup..when possible.

Andrew1937

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
To answer my question on my initial post wanting to know if I could initialize my Referb R3000 printer using 3rd party inks rather than using the 9 Epson OEM ink carts that came with the Referb printer. BTW when I send my original printer back to Epson, you are instructed NOT to send back any ink carts that you were using at the time.

Anyway when I received my Referb R3000 everything worked out as I had hoped for. I first cleaned out my Inkjet Mall carts that I have been using with a 3 part Windex with ammonia with 1 part Alcohol solution. I then filled up my InkjetMall Carts with InkjetCarts Ink (a new ink I'm trying). I used the vacuum method to fill up my InkjetMall carts. I placed a piece of scotch tape on the ink outlet hole at the bottom of cart, put a plug in the air vent hole at the top of cart and filled cart with a syringe. I probably could of used the gravity method to fill the cart but I decided on the vacuum method.

I then reset my carts and put them in the printer and everything worked without a hitch.

Andrew

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
mikling said:
Yep... known limit on USB cables is around 15 feet although the quality of the actual copper used will naturally increase or decrease that range. Having a network USB hub or the powered hub suggestion earlier, can get you round it though.

Off at a tangent but thought I'd chuck that in as a nugget of intel.