Referb Epson R3000 and refillable carts and inks

Andrew1937

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody ever had the following situation and what they did:

I'm sending my R3000 back to Epson because of a Fine Art paper and CD/DVD print feed problem. I got lucky I have 2 weeks left on my original 1 year warranty.

Anyway I was told by Epson to send the R3000 back to Epson without the ink carts. Epson will send me a new set of Epson ink carts with the referb R3000.

My question: When I receive the referb printer can I just put into the printer the refillable carts and inks I have been using for the initialization of the printer without even touching the Epson OEM inks?

Thank you
Andrew

joseph99929

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with that.

In fact, it may even be better for you because you will avoid any chance, however small, of problems during the switch from OEM to compatible.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
As far as I know you may well have to use the OEM cartridges to initialise
your new printer first then switch to your refillables.. :(

Andrew1937

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you Joseph for your reply. I was thinking along those lines. Also thinking that I'm sure Epson tests their referbs so there may be some Epson inks left in the printers tubes after they been tested and flushed out. Thinking along those lines I'm just going to install my refillable inks and carts when I receive the printer. Naturally there is an obvious reason why I don't want to touch the new (9) Epson OEM carts.

Thanks again
Andrew

Andrew1937

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you "The Hat"
Nobody really seems to know the answer. I e-mailed both of the Refillable Inks & Carts vendors that I deal with. One said there shouldn't be any problem and one wasn't sure it it was possible without using the Epson OEM inks. Either way I'm going to give it a shot to try and save the OEM inks that I will receive.

Thank you
Andrew

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Hmmmmm. ...interesting....indeed.

Make sure you reset the chips to full and refill it. Upon initialization, if the chip indicates a low level of ink insufficient to complete the charging of the tubes which uses a lot of ink, The R3000 will reject the cartridges. This is one function of the chips....to make sure that certain processes can be completed when started. Even if you had an OEM cart and it was sufficiently low, you'd get the rejection notification as well right off the bat. I am sure many would swear about the non recognized chips !!!! not understanding the logic.

The emulation of the R3000 chips are sufficiently good to allow initial use at least the ones I have.

Good luck.

Andrew1937

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you mikling for your advice which is exactly what I will do.

Thanks again
Andrew

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
I started both my 1100 and 1400 without OEM carts but it may be different for the higher end systems.

There have been a few comments elsewhere that the 1430 will only work if you start with the CIS/reset chips, if you initialize it with Epson it will block aftermarket chips.

Andrew1937

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'll reload all my refillable carts and inks and give it a shot. If it works I'll be ahead of the game if it doesn't work it will be My Bad. I'll let it be known what happen when I receive my referb in a couple of days.

Andrew

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Got another R3000 up tonight without the OEM carts to initialize. This time the printer had an attitude and nearly threw me for a loop. So much to do so little time.