Question about "waterproof" inks

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have an odd question. A local mining company has asked me for a colour printer that will print 17 x 11 prints, and which has inkjet inks that won't run. Miners will take this underground where there are wet conditions. He would rather not laminate for the expense. I presume Epson's inks would be the best for this, Does anyone have any other recommendations? Would anyone know if the "Claria" inks are waterproof? I couldn't find this info on the Epson site.

Thanks

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
You perhaps need to search for a paper that in combination with inks used will be more water resistant than usual ink. Try to corver photos with laquer spay at least. There is no such thing as "waterproof" inks you need either to use a laquer spray, laminate or use sublime printer

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Those are good suggestions. I did call epson and they assured me that the inks in the R1800 would work under those conditions, but I am still looking for alternatives. he also said that the Claria inks were actually dye-based, and would be unsuitable.

WhiteDog

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
IMO, it is a good policy to avoid lines of business with potential liability for safety and health. This project would be better handled with UV-cured inks on non-woven polyester backing (e.g Tyvek). This technology is part of the sign-printing and commercial poster business. Best to leave it there.