Purging vs Empty Cartridges

selby32

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
How do I know if the ink is dried up? I was told this ip5000 was used a week ago but cyan and/or magenta are low--give warning. For that reason I have not even hooked machine up yet. The cartridges were taken out. I'm looking at them but can't tell. I notice that that yellow has some liquid ink in the smaller chamber. On the cyan and magenta the smaller chamber is empty.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
selby32:

CLI-8 cartridges contain dye-based ink which is water soluble. This means that any dried ink will become soluble -- liquid -- again when you refill the cartridges. If you have PGI-5 cartridges, these are pigment-based inks and dried ink may not become completely soluble in the amount of refill ink you add to the cartridge - a sludge may form.

If you have no idea how the CLI-8 cartridges were stored, for how long, suspect bacterial/fungal or other contamination, see particulate matter in the ink, or have problems with ink flow during printing, then you should purge the cartridge(s). PGI-5 cartridges are theoretically more prone to sludging and ink flow problems if they dry out, so if the cartridge is unknown or dried out then flushing may be advisable, though many people report no problems with their PGI-5 cartridges. It is confusing to a new refiller, but you'll get a better understanding on your own from experience. Purging, typically using water, flushes out the ink, though some residual colorization of the sponge may remain, particularly with pigment-based cartridges.

If you know the history of the cartridge, and do not suspect contamination, then just refill the cartridges. You'll know if there is a problem when streaking occurs on the print.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
I was thinking of empty carts from ebay, these can be empty for long time (if not flushed or "reconditiioned").
Just one or two weeks without ink in the ink chamber should be okay, even better if the outlet is taped. You can press a paper towel on the outlet to see if the sponge is still wet with ink.

selby32

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. These are not CLI-8 carts but BCI-6. I recall reading somewhere on this site that CLI-8 ink can be used in BCI-6 carts, but I assume the ink is not the same. Am I wrong?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
selby32 said:
Thanks for all the info. These are not CLI-8 carts but BCI-6. I recall reading somewhere on this site that CLI-8 ink can be used in BCI-6 carts, but I assume the ink is not the same. Am I wrong?
The same applies to any of Canon's dye-based and pigment-based cartridges AFAIK.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
martin0reg said:
I was thinking of empty carts from ebay, these can be empty for long time (if not flushed or "reconditiioned").
Just one or two weeks without ink in the ink chamber should be okay, even better if the outlet is taped. You can press a paper towel on the outlet to see if the sponge is still wet with ink.
Theoretically, as long as there is no contamination in an otherwise undamaged cartridge, a dye-based ink cartridge can be empty for years, never flushed/purged, and work fine after refilling. Dye-based ink is water soluble, so the small amount of dried ink left on the sponge in an "empty" cartridge will hydrate when you refill the cartridge.

If in doubt, or experiencing flow problem ---> purge.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
selby32 said:
I was told this ip5000 was used a week ago but cyan and/or magenta are low--give warning. For that reason I have not even hooked machine up yet. The cartridges were taken out.
It's not a good idea to leave the print head with no cartridges in it. That can lead to the ink drying out inside the print head. Better put them back in and do a nozzle check. You can do this even before you hook the printer up to your computer. There are two buttons on the front of the printer. Hold the upper in until you get two blinks on the light and then release it and it will do a nozzle check. If it doesn't print a grid pattern at the top with all segment intact and if it doesn't print all the color bars below that, then you have some clogged nozzles. Don't worry about the cartridges being low--there's plenty of ink in the sponges to last for quit a long time.

selby32

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up re carts out of printer. First thing tomorrow I will follow yr advice, put carts back in and do a nozzle check. Will report back.

selby32

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I replaced the carts and did nozzle check. Result is good. So I don't have clogged nozzles. Thank you, ghwellsjr, for the help on this. Also for info re low ink warning (that previous owner said I would get with several of these carts) I was thinking I would buy a set of Canon carts to use while waiting for refill supplies to arrive. Sounds like I won't have to do that after all.