Purging color from Canon Carts made easy.

Fabphoto

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
This week is my first attempt at refilling . I'm doing the Canon # 226 CMY cartridges with Precision Colors Gray inkset .

I drilled a 1/8 inch hole on top. Then I went to my bathroom sink where I turned on my Water Pik dental appliance at lowest setting
and placed the nozzel in the re-fill hole for 80 seconds after which the water ran out clear.

I then went to my garage and turned on my air compressor. I placed the nozzel of the air hose proximal to the re-fill hole
but not jam up gainst it . The water blew out through the sponge hole in three seconds with no damage done.

I put the cartridges aside to dry for a day. Then I re-filled them with the new gray inks which are not contaminated with the colors.

Now I'm awaiting an error message to pop-up on my screen telling me this procedure is disallowed .

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Fabphoto said:
This week is my first attempt at refilling . I'm doing the Canon # 226 CMY cartridges with Precision Colors Gray inkset .

I drilled a 1/8 inch hole on top. Then I went to my bathroom sink where I turned on my Water Pik dental appliance at lowest setting
and placed the nozzel in the re-fill hole for 80 seconds after which the water ran out clear.

I then went to my garage and turned on my air compressor. I placed the nozzel of the air hose proximal to the re-fill hole
but not jam up gainst it . The water blew out through the sponge hole in three seconds with no damage done.

I put the cartridges aside to dry for a day. Then I re-filled them with the new gray inks which are not contaminated with the colors.

Now I'm awaiting an error message to pop-up on my screen telling me this procedure is disallowed .
I have a few questions for you regarding your refill method, which I dont quite understand.

You never said where precisely you drilled the hole, was it over the reservoir or sponge area.
The compressor is a nice touch but blowing on the refill hole does the same thing but maybe not as impressive.

How did you fill your cartridge i.e. how much ink did you inject in, when did you know it was full.

Did you reset the chip before you began to refill, had you got the orange cap on outlet hole
and did you cover the air maze beforehand.

Finally why do you think youre going to get an error message from your printer regarding your refilling procedures?

Now I only ask these questions for the benefit of other guys who use these 525 cartridges
and would love to know the best way to refill their cartridges.. :)

Fabphoto

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My connection keeps going dead after I type a lenghthy reply.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Fabphoto said:
My connection keeps going dead after I type a lenghthy reply.
Try typing out your reply in a text editor first and then pasting it into the forum page.. :)

Fabphoto

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
OK , here we go with Word pad.

I drilled the 1/8 inch hole exactly over the CL-226 label adjacent to the ball hole.
I reset the carts just before filling
I attached the orange clips to the bottom with a rubber band
I filled the syringe with 7 cc according to the instruction sheet with the re-fill kit.
I used the black low clearance plugs , not the zero plugs.
I did not cover the air maze ; I dont know what it is.
several weeks ago I naively bought cl-226 gray carts and installed them
in place of the CMY carts thinking. I would get a true B&W using the sliders
in the driver to adjust. Of course i got an error message. I was born getting
error messages.
last, I covered the black plugs with a thin strip of duct (duck) tape.So far I have no leakage.
I hope this will encourage others who want a true B&W from a $99 printer.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Fabphoto
I am glad you could work with Word pad and paste you post.

Your refilling procedure seems to be the business alright and can be used by others to refill their 225 cartridges;
I will note your thread for future reference and pass it on accordingly.

Now your idea for B&W prints using the grey cartridges is not nave at all,
in fact its a brilliant idea, it just need a little bit of tweaking thats all.

The grey cartridges will work in your printer but youll need to swap over the chips
from each individual CMY colour cartridge one by one to the new grey ones, then they will work for you.

The printer uses the chip as a colour code to prevent you from putting in a cartridge in the wrong position;
it can't tell one cartridge from another otherwise.

Here is a link on HOW to Swap the Chips..

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=41631#p41631

crenedecotret

Print Addict
Reaction score
I usually purge in the sink via the refill hole (top fill) until the sponge is as white as possible... To dry it, I just blow with my mouth overthe refill hole. Like the hat mentionned, it's as effective as a small compressor, just a bit "low tech".

I leave the carts to dry for 24 hours.. when it's time to refill, I fill the reservoir side with ink (about of the tank) and tilt the cart a bit (45 degres or so) to help the ink into the lower sponge portion. Strangely, yellow and magenta always seems a bit more difficult to get into the sponge... for those carts, I hold the cart over my refill bottle and blow in the refill hole to force ink out of the reservoir and into the sponge portion (basically I purge with ink). I repeat as many times as the cartridge needs to get the lower sponge saturated.

When that's done, I top off the reservoir side and plug the hole. The results are carts that look pretty much like OEM-filled ones and no feed/color issues. This method is for CLI-8 carts but I suppose this would work with the other models too. The only problem is seeing the sponge side with the newer opaque cartridges.

For BW prints, i'm pretty sure Precision Color's BW inkset is much better than replacing all carts with the same gray carts.

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
Hi Charles, I almost follow the same procedure like you do. Only for drying, I use the paper towel method (search for it on this forum and it will pop up). You'll be amazed how much water still comes out a 'dry' cartridge in a day or 2 with the paper towel method.

p.s. the color profiles you prepared for me are really good!

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Most air compressors have an oil reservoir, and there is a risk that the compressed air can have a trace of oil in it. As these comressors age they generally have more oil in the air output. The newer composite dental materials that adhere directly to tooth structure will not "stick" if there is any trace of oil in the air output. Oil and water separation is accomplished with these compressors by running the output through a refrigeration-like device and filter to take out water vapor that is inheritantly in the air plus any oil that comes from the compressor. You wouldn't believe how much water/oil is captured. There are oilless comprssors on the market. I don't know if the trace amounts of oil that might be blown into an ink cart might interfere with its funtion.