Pro 3800 carts from china not working

plew

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I purchase a set from Horsence Digital Technology. It seems to know that all the carts are there with the door open, shows the ink carts in the display and tells me to close the ink cover. But as soon as I close the door and it does its check it displays ink cart error, please install correct carts. I made sure the chips were in the correct place by reinstalling in the original carts. They show up correctly.

Of course, the seller is not replying back to my messages after forwarding a copy the instructions that I followed. I guess I'll try to purchase a set of chips. Any thoughts. Thanks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
This is an ongoing war with 3rd party chips, regardless of which Printer you happen to own, but in particular the most popular two, Epson and Canon.

These 3rd party chips have been manufactured over the past couple of years and they do work until the printer gets a sneaky upgrade, so Don’t ever volunteer an upgrade yourself if your printer is working properly, poor print issues are not caused by the firmware.

Epson use hidden ways to launch mini firmware upgrades all of the time and these tend to slip under the radar until the unsuspecting printer owners have an issue with cartridge recognition problems and can’t figure out why.

The moral of the story is, if you use 3rd party chips on your cartridges then turn off all printer automatic upgrades from every source, if you don’t know where to look then ask before it’s to late..

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Yup! I agree 100% and I will bet my life it is the Controller chips not getting along with your OEM chips. Were they EMPTY when you used them?
Joe

plew

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
No, chips were full.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
You sacrificed full OEM chips to use on refillables????

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I purchase a set from Horsence Digital Technology. It seems to know that all the carts are there with the door open, shows the ink carts in the display and tells me to close the ink cover. But as soon as I close the door and it does its check it displays ink cart error, please install correct carts. I made sure the chips were in the correct place by reinstalling in the original carts. They show up correctly.

Of course, the seller is not replying back to my messages after forwarding a copy the instructions that I followed. I guess I'll try to purchase a set of chips. Any thoughts. Thanks.

The controller chips are also position/color specific as well. Were those mixed up by chance?

plew

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Chips were reset to full with resetter. The chips are marked and place in the correct cart but I guess it could have been mislabeled at the factory. The printer seems to be happy when the carts are in place with the door open and tells me to close door. Do you know if it would tell me to close the door if a wrong color chip in place?

I guess I could intentionally mix two sets up and see if I get the same result to close door. I'll try tonight and update.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
WHAT???????? You reset the OEM chips to full??? That probably did the damage. The Controller chips want to see ORIGINAL unaltered chips!!!!
Mike! What"s your opinion about this?
Joe
Chips were reset to full with resetter. The chips are marked and place in the correct cart but I guess it could have been mislabeled at the factory. The printer seems to be happy when the carts are in place with the door open and tells me to close door. Do you know if it would tell me to close the door if a wrong color chip in place?

I guess I could intentionally mix two sets up and see if I get the same result to close door. I'll try tonight and update.

I have a bunch of carts that I "Reset to full" after they were below 15% and yes the printer loves them with the ink bay door open, But NOT after I shut the door. It rejects them all!
Only those that were not allowed to go below 15% or so. Resetting a cart chip with a Chinese resetter and then expecting it to get along with the controller chips on refillables, may not be a possibility!
I am not 100% sure but I think you might have to begin from scratch with a new set of OEMs. I hope I am wrong.

Joe

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Well, the good news is that the OEM chips on my 3880 that are in use with the controller were reset to full before with my resetter before being used so I would not think that is a problem. I can hear a sigh of relief!
The controller chips appear to be only looking for an Epson chip ID key. The count function on the OEM chip is not used when the controller chip is mounted.

Here's what I would do. Put all the OEM chips back on the OEM carts except for one color. Now install that color on a matching refillable and put on the controller chip ONE by ONE and swap out until one is accepted. That way you can sort out whether the controller chips are working. If none are accepted then the only solution is to try another set of controller chips. If you find one, then add another and try again with the same process.

Now I must add, there have been funny issues sometimes with printers not accepting all controller chips even though another machine may accept all of them. Check with jtoolman on the procedure to perform a full reset on the printer. It's been listed on DPreview at one point at would not hurt to be listed on this forum as well. I can't locate it right now.

With chips, remember that we are all guessing in a sort of way. We only depend on what we observe and with no documentation can only go on prior observations. So sometimes we encounter something new and we need to start absorbing again.

plew

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I think I just purchased a bad batch. The printer knows exactly which carts have the non-oem chips when I swapped back to OEM carts. I have ordered a new set of chips. Thanks for all the input.