Pro-100 head Cyan clogging

black1soarer

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
Hi, guys. I bought Pro-100 1,5 years ago for crazy price in Russia 600$, no rebates, paper, etc) And unluckily I cant say it worth money. I am printing not much, sometimes it stays powered off for 1 month. I changed 3 heads already bought 2 pcs on eBay for 35$. Later I discovered the way to unclog colors with more difficult way that I tried before. I read a lot of threads but have no clear answer for my strange clogging.

Factory and eBay heads are clogged with (C) Cyan color, totally not flowing. I flushed cartridges, refilled with Mike's inks. Installed new head, filled and resetted cartridges, prints were great, but one morning I didnt see Cyan at all. I started to flush heads and all had totally clogged Cyan channels. I couldnt see even a string no matter how much I pressed syringe with water. Water flows only when I pressed backwards, sucked water from dish via nozzles. They looking fine, not overheated. And there was foam when the water gone through from the syringe to dish. Could it be inks? Cartridge looks wet at the contact spot, half solid with ink like factory one. I bought that Cyan bottle 1 year ago. Best before 07/07/2015.

The Cyan channel has longest lenght from metal filter to nozzle, how to be sure channel stays clean. Insufficient wetting I think is the reason for clogging. Ink drops fast from bottom hole without a plug on top. Filter is clean. Water from syringe passing noticeably harder then next to Cyan color. I never disassemble the ceramic plate. Canon quality control for heads is lacking?

Also I have questions about printing quality, please help to understand what am I doing wrong. Most liked colors I get with Matte paper setting on any of my papers. Colors are vivid and bright image. All other profiles are too dark and too red with Auto settings.

But Matte profile has two unacceptable cons. The shadows and black objects are bluish, not really black. Also I noticed all Mike's black and greys are dark violet when you drop it in water, is it normal?. And I dont
see much difference in darkness of tones as it shows at nozzle check. Second cons of matte profile is stripes at closer look. Striping gone with printing via Gloss II or Platinum Pro profile. Samples included.

What settings should I use to print on most papers. I dont have profiler and my paper maker Lomond has no Pro-100 ICC library, I dont understand what are they waiting for.

0_143673_702332e0_orig

0_143672_174b9027_orig

Scan of Nozzle check on 4x6" superglossy paper
https://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/15532/197848028.2/0_143674_2e9eea29_orig

0_14366e_625e367f_orig

Last edited:

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Hi, guys. I bought Pro-100 1,5 years ago for crazy price in Russia 600$, no rebates, paper, etc) And unluckily I cant say it worth money. I am printing not much, sometimes it stays powered off for 1 month. I changed 3 heads already bought 2 pcs on eBay for 35$. Later I discovered the way to unclog colors with more difficult way that I tried before. I read a lot of threads but have no clear answer for my strange clogging.

Factory and eBay heads are clogged with (C) Cyan color, totally not flowing. I flushed cartridges, refilled with Mike's inks. Installed new head, filled and resetted cartridges, prints were great, but one morning I didnt see Cyan at all. I started to flush heads and all had totally clogged Cyan channels. I couldnt see even a string no matter how much I pressed syringe with water. Water flows only when I pressed backwards, sucked water from dish via nozzles. They looking fine, not overheated. And there was foam when the water gone through from the syringe to dish. Could it be inks? Cartridge looks wet at the contact spot, half solid with ink like factory one. I bought that Cyan bottle 1 year ago. Best before 07/07/2015.

The Cyan channel has longest lenght from metal filter to nozzle, how to be sure channel stays clean. Insufficient wetting I think is the reason for clogging. Ink drops fast from bottom hole without a plug on top. Filter is clean. Water from syringe passing noticeably harder then next to Cyan color. I never disassemble the ceramic plate. Canon quality control for heads is lacking?

Also I have questions about printing quality, please help to understand what am I doing wrong. Most liked colors I get with Matte paper setting on any of my papers. Colors are vivid and bright image. All other profiles are too dark and too red with Auto settings.

But Matte profile has two unacceptable cons. The shadows and black objects are bluish, not really black. Also I noticed all Mike's black and greys are dark violet when you drop it in water, is it normal?. And I dont
see much difference in darkness of tones as it shows at nozzle check. Second cons of matte profile is stripes at closer look. Striping gone with printing via Gloss II or Platinum Pro profile. Samples included.

What settings should I use to print on most papers. I dont have profiler and my paper maker Lomond has no Pro-100 ICC library, I dont understand what are they waiting for.

Scan of Nozzle check on 4x6" superglossy paper
https://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/15532/197848028.2/0_143674_2e9eea29_orig

>>>IMAGES REMOVED TO SAVE BANDWIDTH<<<<

HI and Welcome!

Cannot help with the technical component of your comment. I am sure some of our friendly experts will jump in with the appropriate advice.

Concerning your concerns about the quality and fidelity of the images you print, I could write a book. Suffice to say that printing an image from your own post processed library will have too many variable to be useful for trouble shooting.

In my NOT very humble opinion the only way to evaluate the image you have just printed is to compare the output of standardised test images, and keep the results on file.

One such image is available at:
http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi048/essay.html

It comes complete with a text file to help interpret results. When the inevitable strange result appears, go back to your file copy and compare the images on identical papers and with identical inksets This will immediately indicate if the printer or digital file is at fault.

RS

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Black 1 soarer just looking at your nozzles prints I can’t find anything wrong with them in fact there perfect.

So if your photos are not printing properly then your cartridges may well be at fault by not delivering enough ink when under a big loading like photos prints.

What type of cartridges are you using to refill, are they OEM or compatible ones and what refill method do you use.

95% of the time when you have poor quality prints it’s the cartridges that’s at fault and not the print head at all, but if you concentrate too much on finding fault with the heads then you’ll never get anywhere, start first with the cartridges..

Grazer5

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100, Ricoh Pro 7100S
Absolutely right Mr. Hat, that ink's not flowing to the head.