Printing on an acetate transparency film

flyboy

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-3750
i am hand writing a letter which is quite long, so i would like to print the lines to follow to keep it neat, on an acetate transparency sheet.
Then i will put the lined sheet under the sheet i am hand-printing on as a guide to keep it neat.
i made a light table to shine through the two sheets.
i have an Epson 3750 ink jet printer and i tried to print, but the sheet rolled up inside the printer.
i know I can do it on white paper, but would like to try the acetate because i have the sheets and i am hoping to get more light, so the guide-lines are more visible.

1. Am i reinventing the wheel, in other words, can i buy sheets like this ?
2. Is printing on these sheets doable ? (i am sure i did it in the past)
3. Any suggestions... ?

Thanks,
Alan

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think the problem is caused by using a wrong type of transparency sheet. They come in two varieties, for laser printers and for inkjet printers.

The sheets for laser printers must be heat resistant so they don't melt in the fuser unit and ruin the printer.

The sheets for inkjet printers are most likely not heat resistant and they have a coating like that on photo papers and when printing on the transparency film a photo paper setting must be used if the printer does not have a transparency media setting.

I just checked Google and transparency sheets are still available even if overhead projectors are not used much any more.

Edit: I think there is a third kind of transparency foil not printable but intended for writing and drawing on with a special marker.

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
In the past I've purchased a couple of times HP transparency foils to use with a HP inkjet printer. We're talking around thirty years ago but I recall that the results were very good. Anyway, the foils were very expensive and I had no much use for them so I didn't purchase more.