Printing Cost Update 002

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Wil - I just see people adding their own experience to your posts. You did a fair amount of work to do your calculations and they do add to the general knowledge of the forum. I don't see the other participans shooting you down!

I would suggest that the cost of cutting three 4x6 sheets from an 8.5x11 as opposed to paying slightly less than 5 cents per precut sheet iis so close as to be negligable - similar to your analysis of the actual printing cost of two inks, the bulk cost of which is a difference of two times. The ink MIS sells, Image Speicalist, is also available from Precision Colors at a much better price, which brings the bulk cost of these inks closer to each other.

On my printers I print nearly all borderless photos. I haven't run into the dreaded waste ink full message yet. The little bit of overspray is conveniently collected in the foam area under the printhead path and doesn't harm the printer at all. Putting a stack of 4x6 sheets (Kirkland Costco paper precut) in the printer to do a big run of prints without the need to cut any paper is too convenient for me to do otherwise. I have, on rare occasion, had the trailing edge of a print with a bit of banding, and you do have to allow for a little bit of cropping which slightly reduces the image size, but the convenience is of more benefit to me than the chore of cutting any paper at all. My first inkjet printer, about 12 years ago, was an Epson - an excellent photo printer in its day. At that time the only precut 4x6 paper was not available at Costco and was very expensive as compared to cutting up the Kirkland paper. They were selling Epson Glossy Photo paper at that time. I'd buy a few boxes and cut all of one up into 4x6 pieces.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
wcandrews@sccoast.net said:
This is an almost automatic operation with Qimage and a less convenient thing with Lightroom.
I haven't used Qimage, so am ignorant on what it can and can't do. Seems like a lot of people are pleased with it.

The Canon 9000-2 has the capability of working with "Canon Easy-PhotoPrint Pro" that is included free with the CD (and latest version is downloadable from Canon.

It functions as a plugin to the free DPP (Digital Photo Pro) and also PhotoShop (and probably PSE?). It provides the capability of putting several photos on a single sheet. Also, it "batches" the printing will less intervention that I've found to be the case with PS.

Not sure why, but doesn't seem to work with the Canon iP4500. Oh, well ...

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I don't know about newer versions of the Canon Easy Photoprint program, but the ones I received with my printers permitted very little image manipulation. It also basically "locked" you out of using the manual color adjustments in the Canon printer driver software. I thought it would work well for my wife, whoisn't interested in leaning photoshop but wants to print decent pictures. No matter how I tried to do manual color adjustments in the driver software the pix all came out the same. Hopefully, they've improved their simplified software package.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
fotofreek
The Easy Photoprint program is really only handy for when you want to do mutable print on one sheet.
The best one to use is photo Shop Elements, that has all the colour management
that would be required to produce a good photo and is very easy to use.. :)

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Hat - I've been using photoshop elements for many years. I started with PE2, went to PE3 (which has a peculiar glitch that makes the image scroll when finishing cropping a photo almost always), bought PE 4 when it first came out and went back to PE3 to avoid the requirement to use PE4's photo organization scheme when selecting a photo to edit. I was just commenting about my brief (30 minutes) evalutation of the Canon Easy photoprint program to give my wife easy access to minor editing and printing of photos. She is just a few steps forward from being computer-phobic and really would do best with the simplest program for printing.

The latest PE program (8?) has dropped considably in priice, and I was tempted to either buy it to try out or get the BIG photoshop program on a student/faculty member discount and learn some new tricks.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Qimage has a free 30 day trial option. It is fully color managed and is great for custom crops, batch printing, etc. I have Photoshop CS4, but Qimage is a far better program for printing. If you do much printing, you'll wonder how you got along without it.

Bertil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
After reading about Qimage I am considering buying it.I have Corel Paint Shop Pro X3 Ultimate which I like very much.In addition I bought ACD Pro 3 which is outstanding for slideshows on the screen and on TV but rather poor when it comes to printing.To my taste.Imust admit that my computer knowledge is poor .Consequently the program must not be too complicated.What do you think?Would this Qimage be any good for me?I do appreciate all the help as regards refill I have learnt from this site.
Printers Canon 560,4200,4700 and ink from Hobbycolors and Octoinkjet-from Eu and no Vat or customs duties.

sbrads

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
iP4700
Bertil said:
After reading about Qimage I am considering buying it.I have Corel Paint Shop Pro X3 Ultimate which I like very much.In addition I bought ACD Pro 3 which is outstanding for slideshows on the screen and on TV but rather poor when it comes to printing.To my taste.Imust admit that my computer knowledge is poor .Consequently the program must not be too complicated.What do you think?Would this Qimage be any good for me?I do appreciate all the help as regards refill I have learnt from this site.
Printers Canon 560,4200,4700 and ink from Hobbycolors and Octoinkjet-from Eu and no Vat or customs duties.
Qimage is easy to use but it may not appear so at first because its interface is most unlike other programs, but it's optimized for print jobs. Once you have it set up to your needs though, it couldn't be simpler......Select a paper media size, select image size (on paper that is, e.g. 6x4), look for your image files and keep dragging them over to the virtual sheet of paper, select Print. That's it. In the background, Qimage will arrange the images on the paper if you've decided to have say 3 images of 6x4" per A4. It will rescale the images to be optimum resolution for your brand of printer (300dpi, 360dpi etc), apply any colour management options, sharpen for print, and apply any filters that you may have selected on the Edit screen - this can be useful if colour management isn't working well enough, it can help reduce colour casts, lift shadows and the like. The Edit screen isn't something you would normally need to even think about, but it's there if you need it. It does all this without altering your original image file as well.

Photo printing becomes a doddle with Qimage and results are always the best you'll ever get from your printer.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
The only setback is Qimage does not support Mac OS X. Such a great program and no mac support. And it is very reasonable priced.