Printer to buy

Parhs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello!
I am 22 years old and i had experience with several printers.
Epson stylus 440
poor quality and slow!!
it stoped printing one day and sent it to the service ...Well aftter the service it worked but the epson printing monitor NEVER worked again...
After that i got a Epson C86
better quallity but ink level was dropping fast!
too expensive inks!!!
I bought a reseter and the inks lasted 3 times more...

However i left it with no ink some time and then i bought new cartidges (not the original ones) and some colours didnt show!
although i did many many print head cleanings via software.
I bough 2-3 reseters because hey stoped working! and wasnt a battery issue

After that i got a Photosmart D5160..
great printing quality ,cartidges expensive but lasted long time...

I tried refill with bulk ink but didnt work always! After one refill the cartidge wont let ink run! Tried isopropylic alcohool,tried suckers...
And everything was just a fail...

I tried bulk ink from several shops but no luck..

Maybe the problem was that i didnt print every week somethingg...

So i am very disappointed from these printers!

Now as i grew up i am trying to find a good printer...
Looked at HP but couldnt find anything good with no printhead on ink...
363 ink isnt used in new models...

920/940 is used in BAD printers... no good feedback..

Epson on the other side had some good models but i hate the waste pad stuff... I hate to have to reset the printer and pay for it...
Because new models arent supported from internet software....Epson service would cost a fortune..

The only printer i think is good for my needs i think is Canon M640

There are autoreseting cartidges and easy refilable !
Also this printer has ethernet , duplex printing WHIcH is something important to me! HP D5160 when trying to print both side it makes paper jam:(.. Because while loading the paper from the tray it "scratches" the paper at the top..

Also i found that
http://fix-your-printer.blogspot.com/2010/08/how-to-reset-ink-absorbers-counter-for.html

so no problem for waste pad...
what do you think?
Does it worth ?

Any other suggestion is wellcome
Sorry for my English

alexh1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I just went through this and if ink costs are important to you I would select by the cartridge and then the printer.

See the 2 posts below with similar titles.
IMO Canon makes the best low cost ink jets hands down.
However, the latest printers/carts from canon(225, 226) will not allow refilling and there might never be any generic carts.

The 221 based printers can be refilled a limited # of times and generic carts are available.
The CLI-8 based printers are same as above but there are also unlimited refill replacement carts. Printers that use these carts are not made anymore but easy to find used.

Parhs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You mean the original 221 can be refilled limited times?
generic carts for 221 unlimited?

Well this printer mp640 has 221 inks(521 here Europe)

So does it worth buying?

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
The 221 (521) inkset has small cartridges, but they can also be easily refilled and reset. Besides the more frequent refilling they are not a bad choice.

alexh1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
In my experience and other's here any cartridge not specifically made to be refilled will eventually fail. I have gotten from 3-6 times or so. The quality of inks may have something to do with it but also remember that the manuafcturer has no reason to design the cartridge to last that long.

I don't even print that much but I'll probably get a CLI-8 based printer on the used market. Easier to refill catridges from Inkjetreset.

BTW, you don't need the resettable chips with the CLI-8's from Inkjetreset do, you?
I don't really care about SW read of the ink level. I suppose it's not good to let them sit empty or very low but I suspect those can be flushed or cleaned easily if they do clog.

Also, I shouldn't use the term unlimited with the replacement carts from inkjetreset - I have no idea how long they last but they say a long, long time.

alexh1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I just picked up a ip4200 for $50 - this printer appears to be far superior to the newer low cost printers.

I need to read the manual but it appears to even have a standby mode where it will turn itself on when you print to it. I know it's nothing new, the HP laserjets have had this feature for 20 years but my newer Pixma did not have it.

Note that the ip4200, ip4300 and ip4500 go for about $300 new on Amazon for the few that are left.