Print clarity and quality

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have never been satisfied with the quality of photo prints from my relatively new Canon MG5420. The prints lack depth and sharpness. I have used the printer very little (I'm just now replacing first empty cartridges) I use Canon inks. I previously had an i860 that made excellent prints. This one doesn't come close to that quality. The ink seems lifeless and the details seem just barely off focus so they don't have crisp lines.

Do I just have a dud or is it something fixable? I've tried adjustments with the printer software and with the app I use to print - Picture Window Pro.

If I did replace it, any suggestions?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Did you perform a print head alignment at setup? If not then try it.

What paper are you using?

Is there a printer driver update available that may correct this issue?

Is your application for printing set up to use a specific ICC printer profile or have any manual adjustments done, such as color and contrast, to alter the output from your previous printer? In other words, did you alter something in the software or select a custom ICC printer profile with your last printer and those alterations are still in effect with your new printer? It might be useful while troubleshooting the issue to set everything to "Default" and that you use only the default printer profile for your new printer.

Have you tried a different application for printing?

Assuming the printer is still under warranty... Have you contacted Canon tech support?

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I did a print head alignment on setup. I started with default settings and altered nothing in my printing app. I have tried other apps with no discernible difference. I have tried manual adjustments. I have not contacted Canon tech support. Thanks for that suggestion. It may still be under warranty, I'll have to check.

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
Hi popsy! Did you go into the Printer Properties to change the Media Type to Photo Paper Pro (or similar) and Print Quality to High? It's possible that it's using Plain Paper and Standard.