Poor print quality MG5310/Inktec

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Printing the test image from the XP computer is a good idea, as it helps determine what problems are caused by the refill inks and what problems are caused by the way Windows 8 handles the test image.

A .jpg version of the test image that does not cause problems with Windows 8 is found here. Just right click the image and save it. Link here: http://jirvana.outbackphoto.com/printer_tests/PrinterEvaluationImage_V002_aRGB.jpg

For manual adjustment of the colours see the this post: http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/head-alignment-i9950.8567/page-2#post-67995

For the first attempt of adjusting the colours I suggest to reduce cyan 15 units.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
For starters stop using windows 8 (maybe just for now) to get stable color, you need winxp or win7.

the charts you attached look very different, one is blue the other sky blue.
Seems like inktec inks are bad match for your printer, or bad ink batch etc. as it should match better.

Proper ICC profile under WinXP, Win7 can solve 90% of your problems. 90% because to be perfect the inks must match better with OEM inks. That is because linearization can't be adjusted for these type of printers.

noexp

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5350
you may print pattern for color adjustment
pattern_print_check.gif

pattern_print_result1.gif

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The pattern for colour adjustment is a nice feature. Is it part of the MG5350 printer driver or a plugin from Photoshop or other program?

My newest printer is a Canon MP540, that has a similar colour adjustment, except for missing the features marked in red in the first picture. The MP540 is of the PGI-x20/CLI-x21 generation, and the MG5350 is of the newer PGI-x25/CLI-x26 generation.

israelchris

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG5310
I have read all your comments, I'll do some tests with all settings w8/xp, pattern for color adjustment, reduce cyan 15 point or as needed and then I will be back here later to show results (unfortunately I have to revive my old pc with Windows xp).

israelchris

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG5310
The pattern for colour adjustment is a nice feature. Is it part of the MG5350 printer driver or a plugin from Photoshop or other program?

My newest printer is a Canon MP540, that has a similar colour adjustment, except for missing the features marked in red in the first picture. The MP540 is of the PGI-x20/CLI-x21 generation, and the MG5350 is of the newer PGI-x25/CLI-x26 generation.

The printer driver include that feature. I think is it in all series 5300

israelchris

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG5310
After many tests here are the results.

Configuration:
S.O Windows Xp.
Colour adjustment: Cyan -15, Magenta +10, Yellow + 5.
Quality: standard.
IMG_0006.jpg IMG_0011.jpg

And here before and after, I know is not like oem ink but it's a little better than before.
Before.jpg After.jpg

Image: Original1.jpg
Color:Auto Auto1.jpg Color: Manual Manual1.jpg

Image2: Original2.JPG
Color: AutoAuto2.jpg Color: Manual Manual2.jpg

On live the colours are more similars with the mode manual with blue colour.

What do you think? Should I change the amount of magenta?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
It looks to me like you have got the colour balance about right, but saturation is too low. You could try increasing saturation by increasing all sliders 10 units. So I suggest to try this setting: Cyan-5, Magenta+20, and Yellow +15.

Don't change the settings for intensity and contrast, as these appear correct to me. Changing these settings could lead to loss of detail in highlight or shadow areas.

Last edited:

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
ICC profile can solve your color balance problem at a certain level, but certainly can't increase saturation. Your problem is very strange, did you uninstall printer driver correctly from winxp before re installing?

In the Printer and Faxes window, pull down the File menu and choose
Server Properties. All your drivers will be listed there under the
Drivers tab.

Are you sure your inks are for your printer model, and that they are not counterfeit? If they are real inktec inks I can't believe this problem is from bad ink.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Before going to the setting that @PeterBJ recommended, try altering just the Brightness to Dark to see how that affects your photos first, I would also recommend you try printing on half the size paper (Smaller) to reduce the amount of waste you’ll accumulate.

Darker.PNG