Pixma Pro-10 Printer plus Paper $50 plus S&H Nov 28-30, 2014

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Well I'm late here. For anyone who was ever concerned that about longevity and refilling, should have snagged the Pro-10. Here's why. If you use a Pro-100 and need to buy OEM carts for longer lasting prints, then after two to three sets, I figure, the Pro-10 would have been less expensive by then at the higher price it normally is. At this price, it is not even a thought. Folks should snap this machine up.
A lot of pigment ink bothers like swapping blacks....no swap needed. Gloss differential.....Chroma (Gloss) optimizer makes even the refilled output superior to Epson OEM output. Canon OEM vs Epson OEM....not even close. Reviewers seem to not jump on the Pro-10 because it only has one gray. This NOT an issue. Properly calibrate and profile your monitor with Argyll CMS ( a good 2+ hours.. use LUT with large matrices and you need to be careful as you CAN botch it up) and then compare Epson B&W vs Canon B&W. Larger useable ink capacity than the Pro-100....less refilling.. The only thing is that it is a tad slower and retains the same reliability as the Pro9500. The rabbit and turtle scenario. And...for the beginning refiller........much easier to refill using the dribble method and squezy bottles. NO TOOLS or mods required.
Ease of refilling and reliability.....not ONE support call about inks and refills since July4 th when I introduced the inkset. My months of delays and prior testing seems to have paid off. I wish all inkjets were like this.

All good stuff to hear Mike.

Once these type of rebates start they tend to proliferate, so I will keep my eyes open for a good deal in the spring.

Need to get my passport renewed.

RS

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
I just stopped by a camera store to see some sample prints. Magnificent. I could see only two hints that these are pigment prints: (1) I couldn't see any sign of the metamerism that affects gray tones on my Pro 9000, and (2) the gloss optimizer does not come out all the way to the edge. The edge of the gloss optimizer is not objectionable, however, and probably would not be visible when mounted. I viewed some glossy and art-paper prints in tungsten and skylight. I saw little or no metamerism. Glossies, art paper -- it's all the same. Saturated colors, deep blacks.

I'm pretty sure they used gloss optimizer over the whole print. That will be an additional cost for sure. The prints might not look quite the same without the full coverage option. I'll just have to see.

They also had a print on metallic paper, and I was surprised by how transparent the pigment ink is. It looks like I'll be able to use some silver printable CDs that I have.

According to the specs., though, the printer can be VERY slow. I doubt if that will be much of a problem for me.

One last thing. It is said that the pigment is on top of the paper. I'm not so sure of that. I think waterproof ink for pens must also be pigment, and that soaks right into the paper. I did scratch a little at some art paper prints, and I couldn't see any sign of abrasion or flaking. I think this is going to be just fine.

Last edited: