Pixma mg5150 error #5100

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have acquired from Ebay this very nice printer as faulty and showing error code #5100 on the LCD, and hoping to fix it. The MG5150 manual is not available from Canon - only the MG5100. But that manual does not give the 5100 code (all codes shown there start with B***, or are messages), so I don't know what it means.

The flashing lights come on in a sequence: long green, short yellow, short green, short yellow, back to long green.
Again, the flashing lights are not mentioned in the manual.

When I first switch on, the home menu comes up. When I 'Copy' the process seems to start but then the error message comes up. The yellow cartridge is flashing as empty, but I hardly think someone would sell a computer as faulty when it has only run out of ink.

Grateful for any help.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The error you may be experiencing could be paper jam related;
some foreign body could be jammed in the paper path or is stuck on the underside of the print head.

Try moving the print head to the centre of the carriageway and then pulling the plug,
armed with a flashlight start checking out all of these possibilities,
removing the carts and print head may also help.

Please keep us up to date with your progress.. :)

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Page11 MP640 Manual error 5100 carriage error. smearing/scratches carriage slit film (that was my problem on a MP620) Foreign material as The Hat suggested re-set the ink tanks I took printhead out as well cable connection Part replacement timing slit disk film carriage unit logic board carriage motor blinking of alarm and power LEDs on this model is 2 times

Hope of some help

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
@Top Hat
Thanks for the info. On a second reading of the manual I found the #5100 fault described as you said it was.

So I removed the carts and print head but could see no sign of paper or anything that would stop the head from moving. I wiped the underside of the head with tissue and cleaned the contacts at the back. Then looked at the carts. They were a mixed bunch.

The big black was an EOM with a label saying that it had been remanufactured by Cartridge World. It showed 50% remaining. The remainder of the carts were clear case types by Cartridge World as follows:

Small Black: Showing on LCD Full, but actually 70% remaining
Magenta: Showing Full, but actually Empty
Yellow: Showing Empty, and actually Empty
Cyan: Showing 50% remaining, but actually Empty

Because of the carts showing Full when they are not, I think they may have auto-resetting chips installed. If so, then the yellow chip may have gone faulty. I have decided to replace all the carts and go from there. If there is still a problem I may need to disassemble the case, but I havent found any links anywhere. Any ideas?

I noticed that when I replaced head and carts, the carriage moved normally to extreme left and back again, and the fault showed up as soon as the purge started. Previously, on switch-on it had got to the menu and I had selected Copy. Then when the purge started I got the message. So it looks like it is something that happens at purge time. Could it be that is when it checks the chips?

@barfl2
I cannot understand your sentence from Part replacement timing because of lack of punctuation. If I read you right, are you saying that you had to replace something to do with the timing slit?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The service manual for the MG5220 might be useful, as the MG5150 and MG5250 look very similar, and the MG5220 is the American version of the MG5250.

For link to the MG5220 service manual, see this: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=60849#p60849 and for download instructions see this: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=61324#p61324

For Error 5100 see page 10/62 in the service manual. This thread by barfl2: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8531 , also about an Error 5100 might also be of interest.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
5268_error5100-2.jpg
Pebe here is a copy of error 5100 from the Canon MP640 manual which might help. Suggest you also check timing strip at the back VERY carefully, that was my problem.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for all the information, everyone. I have now received new carts and fitted them. Still the fault persists.
So I have thoroughly cleaned the timing strip - again the same fault shows.

So armed with the know-how on how to disassemble the case, I'll now look further.

I notice that when I lifted the copier and switched on to change the carts, the head moved to the extreme LH side. The head stopped and there was a chattering noise. Then the head continued moving to its correct position for cart removal.

Also I have noticed that the error message always comes up at the end of, or after, the purge cycle. Is this a clue?

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The printer was set up for printing from the cassette. I thought Id check the back feed setting to see if it was a paper feed problem. I managed a printout of the nozzle check and the result showed all nozzles working correctly. Yippee! Then I printed two pictures - again they were perfect. So did an alignment check, as I had removed the print head. Failure. Fault 5100 showed again so my elation was short-lived.

I lifted the copier and pressed the switch at the top to fool the printer into thinking it was closed. Then switched on. The carriage was not in the parked position, but it went full right, then full left then back to full right. It waited there for a short while then moved 2 to the left and stopped there. I could hear the pump working then saw the head wiper move back and forward cleaning the head only the head was not there. The same thing happened every time I started up, sometimes with the chattering of gears at the LH stop position.

So it looks like a timing strip problem. That item is clean with no scratches so it must be an IR sensor/logic board problem. I have no idea whether Canon will supply spares to the public or at what cost. But as I can get a working machine from Ebay for around 50, regretfully Ill have to bin it.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If the timing strip has been cleaned with no improvement the only thing I could suggest then would be
to fit all OEM chipped cartridges, no compatibles and then try a manual head alignment yourself..:)

Intermittent errors usually means a commutation error between the logic board and the print head,
this can also be caused by one or more faulty chip readings.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have tried two lots of compatibles, and there is no guarantee that an OEM set of carts will fix my problem.

But for the cost of a set of genuine Canon carts I can buy a MG5150 refurbished by Canon and guaranteed for 12months - and know it will work.