Pigment ink put in black photo cartridge

ipfken

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I stupidly refilled pigment ink into the other black cartridge. Will it be OK to just run the ink out by using it on monochrome stuff and then refilling with correct ink? My printer is an ip4850. Thanks.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The print head in your printer is actually two print heads in one package. One section is used for pigment ink for text print only, the other section is used for dye colour plus dye photo black. You can use dye black in the pigment black cartridge but not vice versa. Using pigment black in the photo black cartridge will clog the photo black nozzles. This clog might be impossible to remove, and starving the print head of ink needed for cooling might lead to print head failure. In a worst case a failed print head burns out the logic board, making the printer a total loss.

As your printer uses opaque cartridges, you cannot check if all pigment ink has been removed by purging the cartridge, so I recommend that the cartridge wrongly refilled with pigment ink is discarded.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
In a nut shell no, it won’t work for you because the print head will block up in no time at all plus you can’t use pigment inks on glossy photo paper, it would be a disaster.

You’ll have to purge the cartridge of the ink, dry the cartridge and then refill with the proper photo black, you can save as much of the pigment black as you can by sucking it out of the cartridge before cleaning.

You can however use photo black in the pigment cartridge and it won’t harm your printer in any way, plus it will perform just as well as the pigment ink but won’t be as black looking or be water proof..
Edit:- you piped again..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I recommend that the cartridge wrongly refilled with pigment ink is discarded.
I agree. It is not worth the risk of trashing the print head for the relatively low cost of purchasing a new cartridge (or a used cartridge flushed and refilled if need be).

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
One section is used for pigment ink for text print only,
I've heard this so many times and it's not true. Pigment ink is used when you tell the printer you are using plain paper, it doesn't matter what you are printing, text, graphics or photos. The dye black ink is used for all photo papers. The dye color inks are used on all paper types both plain and photo.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
You're right. I should have been more precise. Plain paper documents are often, but not always text only. The purpose of the pigment black ink is to produce sharper, more black and more waterproof black print on plain paper. The better water resistance could be a bonus when printing address labels.