Pictures of purge unit from iP3000

tenbob0

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I just wanted to share some pictures of the purge unit from my ip3000. I've learned a lot of useful stuff on this forum and maybe posting this information will help someone else.

For those that don't know, the purge unit is a vacuum pump that sucks ink through the printhead to keep it clear of blockages. It runs from time to time during normal use and can be invoked with the maintenance commands for cleaning and deep cleaning. If ink is still not flowing properly after you have cleaned the printhead, it may be that the purge unit is not working. It can get blocked with dried ink just like the printhead.

On the iP3000 the purge unit is at the right hand side. If you open the lid you can see the two pads that contact the underside of the printhead. There's one for the black and another for the three colours. To get access to the unit for testing and cleaning you have to remove the top and bottom parts of the plastic case. You can then (with some difficulty) remove the entire purge unit. There are two screws holding it to the chassis at the front and a metal bracket that locks it from the rear. The trouble is that it is almost impossible to unscrew the metal bracket because there is a motor in the way. I managed to do it by removing a nearby screw that holds the chassis together and then gently bending and twisting the chassis to get access. You also have to remove a screw that holds a black plastic part that runs right across the front of the printer.

This is where I intend to post the actual pictures I took. But, as a new member, I can't do that yet.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi tenbob0

There is a 24 hour quarantine period before new members can post links and upload pictures. See this for instructions: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=36 . So please try again tomorrow. I would like to see your pictures, as I like older Canon printers very much and am interested in everything about them.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Typically, Canon's peristalic vacuum pumps in the purge unit are cased in a black plastic cylindrical housing that snaps apart and permits removal and cleaning of the internals and manifolds. There should be no need to remove the entire purge unit for cleaning/unclogging.

tenbob0

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks, turbguy. On the iP3000 I think it would be impossible to dismantle the purge unit without removing it from the printer first. Your mileage may vary. However you could clean it by squirting water or cleaning fluid into the various ports and rotating it by hand.

I'm still waiting to post the photos. I need to make more text-only posts first. Bob

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
As far as I know, new members can post links and upload pictures after a 24 hour waiting period. To edit your profile and maybe add a link, you need to have at least 10 posts. So you should be able to upload pictures now.

If I'm wrong, could one of the admins please correct me and explain the rules?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
PeterBJ said:
As far as I know, new members can post links and upload pictures after a 24 hour waiting period. To edit your profile and maybe add a link, you need to have at least 10 posts. So you should be able to upload pictures now.

If I'm wrong, could one of the admins please correct me and explain the rules?
I fell victim to these same rules also by telling a newbie that he could change his profile after 24 hours.
I think the administrators have to keep moving the goal post to prevent the spammer from taking advantage
and I have haven't keep up with these rule changes either.. :barnie

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
tenbob0 said:
Thanks, turbguy. On the iP3000 I think it would be impossible to dismantle the purge unit without removing it from the printer first. Your mileage may vary. However you could clean it by squirting water or cleaning fluid into the various ports and rotating it by hand.

I'm still waiting to post the photos. I need to make more text-only posts first. Bob
There are some vary small diameter passageways (particularly the nipple fittings where the tubes push on) that are VERY small in diameter. I have had to clean these out mechanically with fine wire in one instance (SOLID black pigment ink clog).

Wayne

tenbob0

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
These are the pictures I wanted to post way back in 2012. They show the purge unit from a Canon iP3000 plus a schematic of what it does. The rubber cups cover the nozzles in the printhead. Suction is enabled when the cams move the levers to block the air inlets at the left of the drawing.

temp_inkjet2.jpg

temp_inkjet1.jpg

temp_inkjet3.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
That is one exceptionally clean purge unit, nice Pics and well worth waiting on, thank you.. :)