Pharmacist’s solution

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
I have just ordered 500 ml of propylene glycol from my local Chemist (Drug Store).
The stuff is made just up the road in Northern Ireland.

So you already have the 13 liters of vodka ready? :ep Do you need help testing the solution?

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
So you already have the 13 liters of vodka ready? :ep Do you need help testing the solution?
I think we need to have a party!!! I ll be there tomorrow Hat. Do you need some ice. Weve got a lot here right now.
I found glycerine in the ladies make up department of our local drug store. So if the pharmacy doesn't have it try the MAKE UP department!!!! That's my story and Im stickin to it.........:D;)

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
Which one of these (see link below) is the correct propylene glycol to use. I'm hoping the first one since it's the cheapest. It seems there's a food grade and maybe a non-food grade. They have different names, so I am unsure.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=propylene glycol

Thanks...Al
If you clik on them individualy they both say they are food grade. I don't think it would matter which one you use. Thats A huge quantity which will make over 8.5 gallons. I just bought a 6 oz bottle of glycerin at my local drug store for a little over $3. You may also find glycerin in the area where they sell ladies makeup supplies. To me that's almost a lifetime supply.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
What's puzzling me: Is propylene glycol the same as Glycol, the working component in anti freeze?
And is isopropyl alcohol the same as ethanol, which is the alcohol in our drinks?
No and no. And don't drink any of this stuff. You'll poison yourself.

Antifreeze for cars uses ethylene glycol (toxic). Pharmacist's solution uses propylene glycol (relatively nontoxic) or glycerin (relatively nontoxic). Do you see the difference?

Isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol--toxic) is NOT the same as ethyl alcohol (ethanol--nontoxic) !!! Do not use substitute ethanol for isopropanol. It has different properties, and there are also other problems. The ethanol you can easily get is either denatured (toxic or emetic), in which case it has dissolved materials that may muck up your printer, or it is consumable, in which case it is impure and has (1) water and (2) dissolved materials that add taste, and that might muck up your printer.

Point made? Don't make substitutions if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Do not try the following. This is only for storytelling purposes.

At my university many years ago when I was a student, the chemistry lab was required to collect and keep any solution that contained ethanol for purposes of government record keeping and reclamation. At the end of the year, the teacher's assistants (and occasionally a teacher) would take some of this discarded solution, which had some of the most toxic chemicals mixed in, and would perform their own experiment. They would set up their own distillers and cook the toxic waste until they had distilled pure EtOH - ethanol. Adding water and a few drops of juniper to the crystal clear pure ethanol and voilà - gin! The proof was in the pudding, so to speak, and the brave drank their own brew. The only harm I ever heard of was a hangover.

DuPont chemical company used to say "Better living through chemicals". Those brave lads lived it.

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
If you clik on them individualy they both say they are food grade. I don't think it would matter which one you use. Thats A huge quantity which will make over 8.5 gallons. I just bought a 6 oz bottle of glycerin at my local drug store for a little over $3. You may also find glycerin in the area where they sell ladies makeup supplies. To me that's almost a lifetime supply.

Thanks. I looked on the websites of my local drug storess and none of them showed this product. I will have to go inside the stores to see if they have it. That's why I turned to Amazon.

Last edited:

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
At my university many years ago when I was a student, the chemistry lab was required to collect and keep any solution that contained ethanol for purposes of government record keeping and reclamation. At the end of the year, the teacher's assistants (and occasionally a teacher) would take some of this discarded solution, which had some of the most toxic chemicals mixed in, and would perform their own experiment. They would set up their own distillers and cook the toxic waste until they had distilled pure EtOH - ethanol. ...The only harm I ever heard of was a hangover.
The harm could have included blindness, liver toxicity, or maybe even liver cancer. Presumably, the brew could have included toxic organic compounds such as methanol, benzene, or other compounds that may not be completely separated by distillation.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The harm could have included blindness, liver toxicity, or maybe even liver cancer. Presumably, the brew could have included toxic organic compounds such as methanol, benzene, or other compounds that may not be completely separated by distillation.
My post was not meant as a complete description of the events but as a flavor of what occurred. Those doing the exercise were not idiots and knew precisely what was involved and what to do. The liquid used was collected from specific, well established lab experiments and the contents were known. Other procedures were done to the liquid before distillation.

As I said: DO NOT TRY THIS. The post was merely presented as an interesting aside to the discussion.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
stratman said:
As I said: DO NOT TRY THIS. The post was merely presented as an interesting aside to the discussion
I can stop taking note so, darn there goes my chance to get some neat Gin..:th