PG 240 and CL 241 cartridges

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
My son had a MX 700 which he recently destroyed. Because it used the PGI5 and CLI8 cartridges I was able to refill for him. He's bought a printer which uses a PG 240 and a CL 241. Are these refillable and is there a resetter available for them?
Thanks for any replies.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
billkunert said:
My son had a MX 700 which he recently destroyed. Because it used the PGI5 and CLI8 cartridges I was able to refill for him. He's bought a printer which uses a PG 240 and a CL 241. Are these refillable and is there a resetter available for them?
Thanks for any replies.
These PG 240 and CL 241 cartridges are a bit of a nightmare to refill and
youd be better off looking for another printer which takes single colour cartridges.

It would be cheaper in the long run to dump your current printer and get a second hand one
on Craigs list or car boot sale that is easier to refill and maintain..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
One reason to use a printer that has these cartridges - PG 240 and CL 241 - is in the situation where printing will be so infrequent that clogged print heads are a concern, especially when a non-technical or unmotivated person will be responsible for the printer. Since these two cartridges have the print head built into them, a clog is remedied by purchasing a new cartridge. Less expensive than a new print head though your total cost of ownership may remain high.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
These cartridges have built-in print heads on them. Canon printers with this type of cartridges are just like HP's that each time you install a new cartridge you get a new print head. This is the way to make more money out of you but it does keep you in a position that you always get new print heads and never will have problems associated with clogging.

These cartridges can be refilled easily. The only inconvenience is that you can't reset the cartridge back to full again. You will have to guess always when they are about to run out and when to refill them. If you keep a habit of refill them on a regular basis before they run out of ink it is actually quite easy to refill. What I have done is to peel the label of the cartridge and find the vent hole. Drill it through the vent hole and refill from that hole. Put the label back on and cover it. That's about it.

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
Thanks for the input. My son is totally non technical and I'm not willing to get involved with these cartridges. As usual he didn't ask my opinion before buying the printer.