Owning two printers, MP640 and MG5250, best way of filling cartridges?

digitalface

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi,

I own a Canon MP640 printer and my brother owns an MG5250. I'm a bit of a noob at this refilling business but have done my research (massive thanks to this site!) and have discovered the differences with cartridges and cartridge resetting etc.

If you could just confirm a few things for me:

1.) The MP640 uses CLI-521 / PGI-520 cartridges, the MG5250 uses newer opaque CLI-526 / PGI-525 ones

2.) The MP640 will accept CLI-521 and newer CLI-526 cartridges, the MG5250 will only accept the new CLI-526's

I plan on buying a refill kit and resetter in the hope of being able to refill both mine and my brothers cartridges seeing as they're practically the same (no issues with ink compatibility?). However I'm aware the newer '526' cartridges are opaque making filling them up a risky process. What I'll do then is to obtain old genuine '521' cartridges and transplant the '526' chip across, this should be okay right? This will give me a transparent cartridge set, so I'll have two sets of '521' cartridges - one with '521' chips for my MP640 and the other with '526' chips for the MG5250.

So far so good, now though I'm left with the business of resetting both sets of cartridges. Rather than buying two different resetters, I was thinking of possibly buying another set of 526's, stealing the chip and transplanting to a '521' set of cartridges - ASSUMING the MP640 will accept the newer '526' set? This should mean that I'll only require a 526 resetter for 20~.

Sorry for the confusion, and any advice is appreciated! :)

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
lot of good info on this site, keep digging you learn about the various refill methods, supplies, etc

i'm over 200+ refills over nearly 4 years, german method w squeeze bottles, for me simple and fast

BTW, the first year i did not use a resetter, i just visually inspected the ink levels in my PGI/CLI8 ink carts. so you could always defer the resetter if you want.

sounds like the MG5250 with the new opaque carts is causing the headaches, swapping chips, 2 re setters, etc. why not get another MP640 so you both have the same set up.

now for some real outside the box thinking......you could also get 1, 2 or more MX870s. right now canon USA has a great deal on it's refurb'd MX870's for $79 w free shipping, 5 inks carts alone run $65

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_247810_-1

backup printers of the same model or at least same ink cart is a good thing. if i did not have "way too many" backup/spare printers still in boxes i'd be all over that $79 deal

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MP980
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors ink, PMT-BK, UW8
Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

digitalface

1.) The MP640 uses CLI-521 / PGI-520 cartridges, the MG5250 uses newer opaque CLI-526 / PGI-525 ones

2.) The MP640 will accept CLI-521 and newer CLI-526 cartridges, the MG5250 will only accept the new CLI-526's
Lets start with your first question, yes is the answer, your second question is a bit off too.
The MP640 wont accept the 526s but your MG5250 will accept the 521s with modification.
So far so good, now though I'm left with the business of resetting both sets of cartridges. Rather than buying two different resetters, I was thinking of possibly buying another set of 526's, stealing the chip and transplanting to a '521' set of cartridges - ASSUMING the MP640 will accept the newer '526' set? This should mean that I'll only require a 526 resetter for 20~.
This idea of only buying one resetter is not very well taught through either.
Youll need two different resetters for the 521s and 526s chips but
buying another set of 526 cartridges would be far more expensive than a second resetter.

The 526 chip wont work in the MP640 because all the Canon chips are completely different its the cartridges that are compatible.
Here is a link to help you remove the chips from the cartridges easily.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=41631#p41631

digitalface

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
jimbo123 said:
BTW, the first year i did not use a resetter, i just visually inspected the ink levels in my PGI/CLI8 ink carts. so you could always defer the resetter if you want.
Thanks for your reply :) Deferring the resetter would be an option however I don't think I could trust my brother to keep on top of 'low ink' warnings, and risk burning out the print head. I'll definitely require one.

jimbo123 said:
sounds like the MG5250 with the new opaque carts is causing the headaches, swapping chips, 2 re setters, etc. why not get another MP640 so you both have the same set up.
Yeah it is a bit of a headache. Unfortunately we've both bought and used our printers so there are no immediate plans to buy new ones :/

jimbo123 said:
now for some real outside the box thinking......you could also get 1, 2 or more MX870s. right now canon USA has a great deal on it's refurb'd MX870's for $79 w free shipping, 5 inks carts alone run $65[/b]
I forgot to mention I'm in the UK and we have no such deals here :-/ That does sound like a great deal for any potential USA customers, though!

--

The Hat said:
Lets start with your first question, yes is the answer, your second question is a bit off too.
The MP640 wont accept the 526s but your MG5250 will accept the 521s with modification.
Ah fair enough, I saw a thread where it said 521's were being superseded by 526's and assumed this would mean 521's were being phased out, this obviously isn't the case then!

The Hat said:
This idea of only buying one resetter is not very well taught through either.
Youll need two different resetters for the 521s and 526s chips but
buying another set of 526 cartridges would be far more expensive than a second resetter.
Yeah that did cross my mind, but if I were to find an empty set of 526's on eBay or something I might have gotten them for a very cheap price, less than a resetter anyway. I suppose it doesn't matter now that you've told me the MP640 won't accept 526's. Two resetters it is then.

The Hat said:
The 526 chip wont work in the MP640 because all the Canon chips are completely different its the cartridges that are compatible.
Here is a link to help you remove the chips from the cartridges easily.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=41631#p41631
Thank you :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Looks like it is the Cyans that are different judging from their part numbers when you go into the tab for "Other Details". It appears the same image was used for both kits. The owner of the site, websnail, is an outstanding Nifty-Stuff forum member. Ask him the question via his support email on the Octoinkjet web site.

The difference between the two Cyan inks may or may not be acceptable to you or your brother if you were to use just one of the Cyans for both printers. Given that the only apparent difference in the two kits is the Cyan, why not buy one kit plus one bottle of the other Cyan so that each of you have properly matched ink sets. The money you will be saving over time by refilling on your own will negate the extra cost of purchasing two different Cyans now. You'll be using the ink anyways, so might as well get properly matched inks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
digitalface which do you suggest I choose? What is the difference, apart from the price?
For the life of me I cant tell the difference between them except for the price as you say
but apart from that I would use the same ink for both printers.
I reckon you should email Martin in octoink and ask him if its just a hiccup on his web page..:)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The Hat said:
digitalface which do you suggest I choose? What is the difference, apart from the price?
For the life of me I cant tell the difference between them except for the price as you say
but apart from that I would use the same ink for both printers.
I reckon you should email Martin in octoink and ask him if its just a hiccup on his web page..:)
Good thing your life wasn't in the balance! Read my post. :frow

Seems the hiccuping sound is coming from you, uncle. Have you been into your personal refilling bottles already today? Without me?!? :drool

digitalface

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks all :) I think I'll buy the extra ink like you suggest, stratman.

Is it worth stocking up on empty 521 cartridges, I mean are they likely to stop being produced any time soon? I've seen a few batches on eBay but won't bother if a single set of cartridges is likely to last me a long long time.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I would think the cartridges will be manufactured for several years to come. The Canon BCI model cartridges are still being produced.

If you want a stash of empty cartridges and find a good deal on eBay, go for it. If you find you are comfortable refilling with just one set of cartridges then there is little need to purchase another set, though I have found it useful to have a spare, either to keep refilled so I can swap out the empty and then refill at my leisure, or, rarely, to use as cleaning cartridges. Cartridges stored out of direct sunlight and extreme temps should last longer than your printer.