Opinion on diyinks on Ebay?

garne2t

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Anyone tried the refill kits sold by diyinks on Ebay? Opinion on reliability, quality, longevity of prints? Ease of use?
They have a 99.4% feedback rating on Ebay.
I have a Canon MX870 printer.

Thanks.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
where are you located? The feedback rating is often dependant on prompt delivery, return policy, and other customer relations issues. Best to stick with known good quality aftermarket inks. That information is in several areas on this forum. My preference is to buy from a vendor that identifies the ink manufacturer. Diyinks identifies their inks as German manufactured but doesn't identify the ink by name. Also, the kit I saw on their site looked very convenient, but it appears that each color comes in several individual containers that seem to be premeasured for refilling a cartridge once. Needless extra containers the cost of which would best be applied to a larger volume of ink for the same price. Obviously, if someone replies to your post with the assurance of the quality you are looking for it would be one choice among the ones that most of us use.

If you've never refilled before, you should do some homework by reading through posts on technique and necessary equipment. Once you assemble your own refill "kit" items you will only need to purchase bulk refill inks.

I just noticed your post and thread about duplexing, http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6858&p=1 , and see that the sixth post on that thread identified the ink and sources that I've found to be best. Also I see that there was information on some items to make up your own "kit". It was good advice. Why not take it?

As far as the duplexing issue is concerned, my sense is that Canon's reason is more technology based than greed. I would suspect that the mixing of colors to make black uses a similar amount of ink as using black alone. Too much ink would oversaturated the paper and bleed through. Since Inkjet printers area sold on the "razor blade" model, with a low cost printer and high priced consumables, the answer is to refill and eliminate the reason for complaining. That is what this forum is about. Just enjoy beating the manufacturer's system!

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Total:168ml (21 ml for PGI-5BK x3, 10.5 ml for CLI-8BK x3, 10.5 ml for CLI-8C x3, 10.5 ml for CLI-8M x3, 10.5 ml for CLI-8Y x3) at US $26.99 ?

Expensive. But if you like their refill system and it works with a syringe (you have to ask them about that) you can buy it and after you finish their ink, consider the option of bulk ink in bottles.

Keep in mind you'll need a resetter as well in order to retain the built-in ink counter.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
where are you located? The feedback rating is often dependant on prompt delivery, return policy, and other customer relations issues. Best to stick with known good quality aftermarket inks. That information is in several areas on this forum. My preference is to buy from a vendor that identifies the ink manufacturer. Diyinks identifies their inks as German manufactured but doesn't identify the ink by name. Also, the kit I saw on their site looked very convenient, but it appears that each color comes in several individual containers that seem to be premeasured for refilling a cartridge once. Needless extra containers the cost of which would best be applied to a larger volume of ink for the same price. Obviously, if someone replies to your post with the assurance of the quality you are looking for it would be one choice among the ones that most of us use.

If you've never refilled before, you should do some homework by reading through posts on technique and necessary equipment. Once you assemble your own refill "kit" items you will only need to purchase bulk refill inks.

I just noticed your post and thread about duplexing, http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6858&p=1 , and see that the sixth post on that thread identified the ink and sources that I've found to be best. Also I see that there was information on some items to make up your own "kit". It was good advice. Why not take it?

As far as the duplexing issue is concerned, my sense is that Canon's reason is more technology based than greed. I would suspect that the mixing of colors to make black uses a similar amount of ink as using black alone. Too much ink would oversaturated the paper and bleed through. Since Inkjet printers area sold on the "razor blade" model, with a low cost printer and high priced consumables, the answer is to refill and eliminate the reason for complaining. That is what this forum is about. Just enjoy beating the manufacturer's system!
Good reply fotofreek

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I buy my ink in bulk because for starters its cheaper than OEM ink;
its not going to run out easy I always have plenty of ink when I need it at very low cost. :woot

Again cost is longer a factor in inkjet printing when using bulk ink, I can spill, waste, donate, use, drink :plbb
(not recommended) and never worry about wasting any of it.

But above all I like to be on the winning team, so support the good ink vendors out there,
that way we will always have a good reliable source of quality ink on hand to print with. :hugs

Another major factor is its as good as OEM ink any day.
Happy Printing and lots of it..:thumbsup