nwoD edispU

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
AM/PM went straight over my head, 11/10 :giggood one!

We do have Koalas visit with us a lot more this year. Long drought (15years) saw the Gum Trees (Eucalipt) shed significant volumes of their leaves, resulting in a concentration of oil in the leaf and almost no water. Koala relies on water content in leaves as it does not drink water at all. Their Biology allows them to waste the Oil with no side effect. BUT at the elevated levels achieved by drought conditions their food became poison as the oil levels got far too high for them.
Being climbers they have very sharp claws, are not naturally aggressive but will get scared and defend themselves if under threat. They can inflict a great deal of damage but mean no harm.
Gum Trees are the Eucalyptus, and yes! living amongst it we tend to block out the background aromas. However, after rain or under still conditions after spending a few days in the City is is BLISS to be home on the porch......warm breeze carries the smell strongly in Spring, Sulphur Crested Cockatoo, Crimson Rosella and Kookaburra chatting high in the trees above us is indeed a touch of Paradise that quells ALL of the worlds ills for a time. In the afternoon now we have a mob of about 15 Kangaroos of various ages eating the new grass in the paddock not 50 feet from the verandah.
Last week end found a female Kangaroo had killed herself under the bottom strand of wire of our perimeter fence. As I approached thought she may still be alive as I saw movement. Turned out to be a baby Roo in her pouch ( had it been able to stand it would have been about 10" high). It was bitter cold and we had a howling gale going on so I left it be and called Wildlife Rescue not that far up the road from our farm. They got here in about 15min. but the pouch was already cooling so I pulled the Joey out and slipped him into a towel in a canvas shopping bag and brought him into the house where we had a good log fire going. He was almost bald, covered only in a downy velvet fur...no protection from the elements...... it was all over so fast I did not even get a picture......First order priority being its survival......

Added

The Large blue orb is a google marker! The maller Blueish orb is our water storage tank, it is made of corrugated steel, we rely on collected rain water, and spring water pumped from 125 feet underground. No water supply out here!!

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
What an amazing story about the baby kangaroo. Great work on your part. It survived, I take it?

My exposure to eucaliptus began when a child and mother would give us Vick's VapoRub for chest congestion and sinus congestion. Seemed to work a treat clearing up the nose! Since then it seems fewer and farther between encounters with products containing eucalyptus.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
What an amazing story about the baby kangaroo. Great work on your part. It survived, I take it?

My exposure to eucaliptus began when a child and mother would give us Vick's VapoRub for chest congestion and sinus congestion. Seemed to work a treat clearing up the nose! Since then it seems fewer and farther between encounters with products containing eucalyptus.

Good 'ol Vicks Vaporub......and inhaler. Eucy oil is flourishing here is mighty added to washing as it kiils bacgeria and smells fresh. Also gets farm tool and wood stains out of working clothes without using nasties!
So far so good with the roo!

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
We do have Koalas visit with us a lot more this year. Long drought (15years) saw the Gum Trees (Eucalipt) shed significant volumes of their leaves, resulting in a concentration of oil in the leaf and almost no water. Koala relies on water content in leaves as it does not drink water at all. Their Biology allows them to waste the Oil with no side effect. BUT at the elevated levels achieved by drought conditions their food became poison as the oil levels got far too high for them.
Being climbers they have very sharp claws, are not naturally aggressive but will get scared and defend themselves if under threat. They can inflict a great deal of damage but mean no harm.
Went to the Taranga Zoo in 1960 at a time of year when there were no tourists around. One of the men working at the zoo happened to be in the Koala enclosure when I stopped to see the cute little critters. We chatted a few minutes and he then brought one over and handed it to me. Felt just as furry and cuddly as it looked!

Lots of eucalyptus trees were planted in our area many years ago. Some were put in as wind-breaks and others for decoration and shade. I agree that the smell is beautiful. When I was a student at the University of California in Berkeley, one of my favorite areas on campus was the Eucalyptus Grove - a circular clearing surrounded by Eucalyptus trees with giant log segments set in a circle, cut to create seating. Very peaceful in a sometimes hectic environment! There are also Eucalyptus trees very close to my home in a part of the Golden Gate Park that I drive next to several times a week. Not infrequently, when I'm walking in the area that I pick up a leaf and bend it to release the smell.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Went to the Taranga Zoo in 1960 at a time of year when there were no tourists around. One of the men working at the zoo happened to be in the Koala enclosure when I stopped to see the cute little critters. We chatted a few minutes and he then brought one over and handed it to me. Felt just as furry and cuddly as it looked!

Lots of eucalyptus trees were planted in our area many years ago. Some were put in as wind-breaks and others for decoration and shade. I agree that the smell is beautiful. When I was a student at the University of California in Berkeley, one of my favorite areas on campus was the Eucalyptus Grove - a circular clearing surrounded by Eucalyptus trees with giant log segments set in a circle, cut to create seating. Very peaceful in a sometimes hectic environment! There are also Eucalyptus trees very close to my home in a part of the Golden Gate Park that I drive next to several times a week. Not infrequently, when I'm walking in the area that I pick up a leaf and bend it to release the smell.

The gum is a known killer. Their down side is that many ants and some boring bugs use them as home. Result is they drop limbs without warning. Also the gum has a habit of allowing unwanted limbs to die off, causing them to dry out and eventually drop.

Eucy oil in an Essential Oil set up with a tea light candle beneath is excellent at refreshing rooms and has a really nice calming effect if not overdone!!

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The gum is a known killer. Their down side is that many ants and some boring bugs use them as home. Result is they drop limbs without warning. Also the gum has a habit of allowing unwanted limbs to die off, causing them to dry out and eventually drop.

Eucy oil in an Essential Oil set up with a tea light candle beneath is excellent at refreshing rooms and has a really nice calming effect if not overdone!!
these trees have created a great risk in some of our area. They are highly flamable and feed fires rapidly in housing areas. The dropped limbs are problem. In addition, I've heard that they have shallow root structure and grow very tall. Not a good root to top ratio, and some become uprooted and topple. I don't know if the shallow roots are a result of having more water than in their native arid area where they have to "reach" down deeply for water.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
these trees have created a great risk in some of our area. They are highly flamable and feed fires rapidly in housing areas. The dropped limbs are problem. In addition, I've heard that they have shallow root structure and grow very tall. Not a good root to top ratio, and some become uprooted and topple. I don't know if the shallow roots are a result of having more water than in their native arid area where they have to "reach" down deeply for water.

We live in a high rainfall area (in the past) resulting is shallow root systems too. We had a real bad night last night as the GALE force winds were blowing the nearest trees towards the house.
Its not Paradise............once in a while:hide:gig

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Another useful use for the Vicks and other salves like that is to smear them on your feet and pop socks over them when you have a seriously bunged up nose and are having problems breathing.

Works a treat in allowing our little man to breath through a nasty cold...

Glad you were able to rescue the roo there @3dogs although I had you pegged for being in the UK for some reason..
:idunno