Now can't get HP software_drivers to install -period

phkhgh

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Starting new topic - we're on a new chapter now.
After doing my best to uninstall all HP printer software, drivers (based on yrs of accumulated tech support data, KBs, forum posts, experience), the latest d/l of their full package will NOT install correctly.
Actually, it installs very little at all, then says it's completed. However, nothing's installed. After 1st going thru "standard" uninstall methods, then suggested "advanced" methods (which actually solved installation issues in the past), the setup still thinks much of the software or drivers are installed. So, it doesn't install / overwrite what it thinks already exists.

The last time I ran the installer, it didn't even show the option of "recommended" or "custom" installation. Just "install," though rest of the screen looked same as before. It finished in < 1 min. & nothing shows as installed; no errors. Installer won't run in Safe Mode w/ networking. Needs things that Vista can't load in Safe Mode. There are tons of HP logs scattered over C:\. There were some install or setup logs, but not found one that showed actual installation errors for this printer. Don't know if any of the logs I found were "the" main install log.

I'm fairly sure it's showing things already installed because of some registry entries (Vista hm prem x64), that should've been deleted. I also ran Revo Uninstaller after finished w/ HPs uninstallers. It found a few things - most not associated w/ files, drivers or software that I'm having issues reinstalling. I didn't run RevoUninstaller "advanced" registry search.

I kept HP tech support email about some manual steps deleting certain HP registry entries. Obviously, when the setup prgm starts & shows several things "already installed," when they don't exist, it's likely getting info from the registry. I've seen this for other mfg's software / drivers, also.

Unfortunately, I don't know of an HP "cleanup utility," like some software has. Their L-1, 2, 3, 4 .bat uninstallers don't seem to be doing the trick. I used L3. (I believe "L-4" is the "nuke everything" & I've read some "gurus" say it may damage your machine / registry). No HP support tech ever suggested using L-4 (but did L-3).

I know my way around the registry & have never screwed anything up - though I back it up. I find MANY HP entries left after uninstalling. Most wouldn't bother anything. My guess is a few show stuff is still installed (basically, the uninstall prgms failed & can't successfully reinstall, even if just wanted to immediately uninstall).

Found a registry key for "Installed products" (HP) w/ ~ 10 . Don't know if that's the one big problem. In Registrar Registry Monitor, there are ~ 51,000 results for "HP." Many are for key files that were (now uninstalled) in the printer program files folder. Still, only a few registry entries (that should have been deleted) would stop the installer from reinstalling all files, drivers, etc.

Yes, I know I can install drivers for the printer(s) - even ones from HP's latest basic or full installer (inf file isn't that hard to find). But, I won't (don't think) I'll be able to set ink volume usage, create custom print settings shortcuts w/o using some of their software. Maybe I'm wrong, but my instinct says no. I probably COULD get other scanning software.

Any suggestions on getting the "problem" HP reg keys to uninstall, so it'll install correctly? I seriously considered restoring an Acronis system image - but most recent I have is several mos ago (my bad). EVEN then, the HP uninstaller / installer would STILL have to work correctly or I'd be in same boat.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
This should be easier on a win7 machine. Vista is not a very good OS. Is there any chance that you would give up Vista and go to Win7?

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
I suppose you could:
1. Try to return it and go back to ball point pens.
2. Pay someone to fix it.
3. Install Linux.
4. Repeat.

I would stay out of the Registry unless you really know what you're doing. You could do a lot of damage.

phkhgh said:
...the latest d/l of their full package will NOT install correctly.
So just put the CD in and run that.

phkhgh said:
The last time I ran the installer, it didn't even show the option of "recommended" or "custom" installation.
Sometimes the defaults are best. This sounds like one of those times. The all-HP, just push-the-button solution is starting to sound pretty good.

It sounds like your best shot at starting over is probably a system restore point if you have one.

HomerS

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1430, Pixma Pro-100
Just a suggestion. I have been using CCleaner (it's free) for years to keep all my machines and registries clean. I am currently using it on two Win7 machines, a Vista machine and my workstation laptop which is still running XP. You might want to download it and run the registry cleaner function just to "see" what might be left over from all this HP mess. If you decide to go ahead and clean the registry you can do a backup before you do - and you can delete by line item as well. It also has a good uninstaller that finds things other installers don't. Maybe you are way past that point but thought I would offer the suggestion.

I will certainly agree that at times it is indeed very difficult to get some of the HP stuff to uninstall. I certainly don't recommend this but there have been times I have actually gone into the program files and found complete folders of stuff that had to be just deleted (drag the folder to the desktop and leave it there until you know you don't need it).

I think I am out of simple suggestions. Hope this helps.