Non-OEM cartridge maintenance

floK

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma IX6850
because your OEM setup cartridges will take very little ink and are not that easy to refill.
You're right, I forgot to add to the first expenses those for a set of XL OEM cartridges, that costs 60 euro. With this, the total initial costs for refilling the OEM cartridges become 60+100+60 = 220 euro! That equals the price of the IX6850!!!
So, indeed, better to use ARC cartridges and if something goes wrong... just buy a new printer :D

Last edited:

floK

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma IX6850
Could somebody tell me if the ARC cartridges in this bundle from Octoinkjet
are the "high capacity" ones (XL - 22/11/11/11/11 ml) or the "normal" ones (15/7/7/7/7 ml)?

Vorkolor

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP7250
@websnail can probably answer that, but I think only Canon bothers making low-capacity cartridges. All the compatibles I've seen (on eBay) have the full internal volume available, with some variation in sponge size.

( AFAIK XL and normal OEM cartridges are the same size, but the "normal" ones apparently have a sealed air chamber to reduce ink capacity.)

floK

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma IX6850
Thanks @Vorkolor!
Meanwhile, Martin from Octoinkjet (websnail on this forum) gave me the confirmation on e-mail. There are the XL ones.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
There is no real size difference in 551/550 OEM cartridges, it’s the ink capacity where the difference comes to light, the OEM cartridges have a false wall dividing the ink reservoir in half to restrict the ink volume.

The normal and XL OEM cartridges are exactly the same, but the normal OEM cartridges will leak if filled the usual way using the top fill method, the OEM XL cartridges wont.

All the refillable compatible cartridges for the 551/550 model range are the full capacity type and are very easy to refill.