no printing on mp520 canon pixma

gravecad

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi.
My canon mp520 pixma wil not print out anything. The cartridges are brand new but the printer is old. any solutions? I have removed all lables except does on top of the tanks.

Big_Al

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
gravecad said:
Hi.
My canon mp520 pixma wil not print out anything. The cartridges are brand new but the printer is old. any solutions? I have removed all lables except does on top of the tanks.
If you mean that no paper comes out of the printer, I would do the following.
1. Turn off the printer.
2. Unplug the printer from the computer.
3. Turn on the printer.
4. Put paper (normal 8 1/2 by 11) in the two trays. There are two paper sources, a front tray and the back tray.
5. Use the scroll wheel on the printer and select maintenance.
6. Under maintenance, select Nozzle check pattern.
7. Press the OK button.
8. And then finally press the print button.
Let me know if anything prints.
Al

gravecad

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
hi,
i have got it working, but i think it might stop again. any idea why this has occurred(the problem).

Big_Al

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
gravecad said:
hi,
i have got it working, but i think it might stop again. any idea why this has occurred(the problem).
I am happy to hear that the printer is working. I have some questions for you to answer-
1. Did you use my eight steps to get the printer working, or did you get the printer working before the eight steps?
2. If you did the nozzle check, how did the test look?
3. Have you connected the printer back to the computer, and does the printer still work when printing through the computer?
Al

gravecad

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi,
1 yes i used the eight steps to get the printer working
2 I didn`t use a nozzle check, I will very soon.
3 Computer is connnected and printer is working great.
Any ideas why the problem occured?

bentobject

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MP520
Hi There,
I have the same problem, but only with the black ink :(. New cartridges, I've done all the maintenance tests many times. One thing that helped (only once) was to clean the rollers, but now again nothing.
any ideas??
thanks in advance,
Susanne

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
There are many reasons why your black ink is not printing, but the most common one is not using your printer often enough.

There are three possibilities, one you have a persistent clog in the pigment black head that won’t shift without soaking the print head.

The second one is your purge unit may be bunged up with old ink and will need to be given a good wash also.

The third is more severe you may have tried to print while the nozzles were clogged up and this can lead to the nozzles on the black side been burned out.

As you now have a new cartridge the best thing to try first would be the second suggestion, try flooding the purge unit (Capping station) with Window cleaner (Windex or W5), you can do this by rising the top cover of the printer and wait till the print head stops in the middle of the carriageway.

Now pull the power plug and then move the print head to the left side by hand and you will have easy access to the purge unit, use a flash light if it helps and give the two black pads a good soaking of window cleaner. (Use a syringe or spoon)

Now power on your printer and wait a minute till it stops moving and goes quiet then raise the cover again and check the two pads to see if all of the liquid is gone, if so run one head clean on the black side only then print a nozzle check to see if any black ink prints.

Don’t print anything other than a nozzle check till you can resolve your print issue. !

bentobject

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MP520
Thanks for all that Hat!
It's weird, because I use the printer, especially black, all the time. My boyfriend used the top loader (which I never use) just once, and after that it wouldn't print.
anyway, so I did as you said, but not all the liquid is gone.
should I try to print anyway?

bentobject

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MP520
ok, it disappeared so I tried a head clean and a nozzle check. There is no black printing, only colour. There is not an option to do only black. Anything else I could try? I have done roller cleaning and bottom plate cleaning many times.
thanks again! Susanne