No Difference in My Pigment Ink Fade Test.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
o_O Umm, I meant if it were hanging in your punishment room without an original to compare.
*mental images of a printer style dungeon with a Canon screaming "You'll never make me drink that compatible refill rubbish... Never! You hear me!"*

No?...

... Just me then...
getmecoat.gif

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I recognize quite some interest in this test, and instead of asking The Hat to print more patches for another test I rather would propose a joint community action in this way:

- we, whoever is interested to get his ink/paper exposed and compared with others , prints such targets
on his choice of paper with his inks.

- we ask 'The Hat' sincerly to place our targets all together into the Hades environment, he is the
master of the Hades there, and we mail him our printouts for this purpose

- we all agree to print the same target pattern -e.g. 2x A5 size - one A5 sheet for the exposure test, the
other A5 sheet as the reference, it is then easily possible to scan both together for direct comparison
after the test. We add all relevant details - paper type/brand, printer/model/driver settings , ink
brand/type

- we probably should limit ourselves to one or two of such targets so that we don' t use up too much of the
space at his premises.

- we establish some timing marks - e.g. printing and mailing within the next 4 weeks, -1 week postal
transition time - 2 weeks sorting and setup - exposure start around easter

- and then we'll have to wait 3 months or 6 months for The Hat to report any status, and then we'll be
surprised probably by the outcome. Only such test could cover a wider variety of inks and papers as
they are actually used by the forum members, and such test provides consistency for a direct
comparison of materials which otherwise is not possible

- I think we should focus more on dye inks, just using a pigment ink patch as well in the test for comparison.

- The test does not include any quantitative measurements but just a visual judgement so far.
We may go further and ask 'Smile' to check whether he could do some measurements of the
exposed and unexposed patches, he is in the colorimetric business and most likely has
appropriate equipment available for that. So in a step 2 The Hat just would send all the patches
over to him after his test - if such action would be feasible.

- We all know - or at least assume - that pigment inks would last much longer than dye inks, so
I would like to focus on dye inks in such comparitve test. And I actually would expect some
surprises - one or two winners almost as good as pigment inks, and some patches which drop out
already with suntan after a few weeks. And after such test we woul know much better which inks
are the real winners, OEM inks and/or some other ?

- First at all we need to ask The Hat for his support in such a test project, and Smile as well for
measurements if we would be interested in those, and we can change, improve
and finetune such test program all together

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Good idea.

If someone can formulate a standard test procedure I am candidate to test Prodinks dye (Canon 525/526).
Probably have enough OEM to compare.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Thank you for testing!
Good results regarding fading for both, the IS seems to match colors better, at least the greys are looking more like grey..

PS: as pigment inks are known for less fading, I am much more curious to see how dye compatibles are performing... dear Hat, if you are printing also with 3rd party DYE (e.g. IS and prodinks or others) put some of them in your work and washing hades..
I printed another two test sheets yesterday, I used two printers iP4500 (4 Colour) and i9950 (8 Colour) both will be using the same I.S. dye inks.

Now I used two sheets on each one was plain Lidl copy paper and the other was Lidl Sihl glossy paper, I used the highest quality setting for both printers, I had to force the i9950 into using all its colours, and that’s it.

I intend leaving them exposed as I did with the previous pigment test till about next August, but this time the colour fading will be extreme to say the least.

It’s going to be a very cruel test but it doesn’t represent normal everyday exposure, so please bear that in mind, expect the worst this time.

So August it is..;)

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
The South Florida Print Hades continues...... A "behind glass" batch is on the rack right now.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
My two test prints are coming along just fine now after 1 month of exposure but every time I pass them I cringe, they look dire, I wonder if they’ll last another 4 months.
I may not have anything to report back on if they continue to fade at their present rate.. :hide

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
My two test prints are coming along just fine now after 1 month of exposure but every time I pass them I cringe,
Think how those images feel about your exposure! I'd want to disappear too. :ep

paddy-flasher.gif

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
:yuckyuck :gig :gig :lol:
Update:- It’s now June and my two test prints look like they had been printed 20 years ago, they’re that bad, but all will be revealed in the first week of August as planed, so till then.:caf

Not like @stratman’s flasher dough.
I’ll start a new thread when I post the results and put a link to it here...:woot