Newbie question: which printer?; which resetter?; which ink?; help!

Crimea

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to replace my dinosaur printer (Epson Stylus Color 680/777) with something that costs in the region of 50/$100, give or take.

At the moment, I reset the chips on my cartridges using a resetter like this (http://www.cartridgesave.co.uk/jr-inkjet-refill-kits.html?id=du8BuueP) and refill using syringes and realise how crucial being aware of the cheapest refilling method is before you buy. I got lucky with my current model.

I was thinking of something like the Canons (ip3500, ip3600, ip4500, ip4600) or the Epsons (I don't know much about them) (Stylus D92, Stylus D120, Stylus SX200, Stylus DX4450, Stylus Photo R285, etc.).

I've had a look at some of the resetting devices (e.g. RKS) and refilling methods and am aware they don't all work with every printer, so would dearly like some expert advice. Any advice on how to maintain my current 25p/50c 'single-refill' cost would be great: which printer?; which resetter?; which ink?; etc. I don't do much printing - a few A4 sheets a week.

I don't know if all the model nos. are the same in the U.S. or elsewhere.

I hope this isn't too much of a novice question or asks for too much information.

I'll continue to hunt out the information from these forums but thought mining you experts would prove more fruitful.

Thanks.

dougsewell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi. If you do a lot of photo printing the Canon iP4500 is the best bet but for price you limit yourself. You may find the iP3500 is best value. I have bought two iP3500 as a hedge for the future as I am unsure whether the newer 3600 and 4600 can be reset.. Fill using the German method with Ink Tek inks and reset with the RKS resetter. All filling and resetting queries are answered in detail within these forums. 2 inch needles from www.midmeds.co.uk under disposables/syringes and needles/needles/ 18g 2" pink 90p for 10 (this is in UK, if you are in the US of A there may well be a better source although I have read of difficulties on that side of the pond with supplies of this type. Ink Tek is also a UK ink so you may be better off with advice from USA on this. If you go for an iP350 go quickly as these have been superseded by the 3600 with smaller ink tank capacities and up to now unresetable carts. Separate colour carts is the best way to go with 4 on the 3500 and 5 (an extra dye black as well as the pigment black) on the 4500. You could of corse forego resetting and simply disable the ink level notification (again explained in these forums) but you would need to visually check ink levels to avoid drying up and possible burning out of the print head nozzels.
Good luck - I am sure you won't go wrong with these choices of printer as many have testified within these forums. I am delighted with the performance and refilling/resetting capabilities of my 3500. This should be enough to get you going with research within the forums.
Doug

Crimea

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks, Doug.

It looks like Canon is the way to go.

I'll spend some time trying to pick the perfect model - if it exists.

On a separate note: although they're out of my price range, are any of the Canon multi-functions any good?

Ta.

I'm in Blighty, by the way.

dougsewell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi again. No experience of multi functions, only what I read on these forums. Have been tempted but as I already have a scanner which is only used occasionally I have stuck with a dedicated printer. My view is simply to avoid anything which could fail in one area (eg printer or scanner) which puts the whole unit out of action until the faulty part is fixed. My advise is to stick with a printer only. Others may have something different to say however. Good luck in you hunt for perfect printer.
Doug

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Crimea said:
Hi,

I'm looking to replace my dinosaur printer (Epson Stylus Color 680/777) with something that costs in the region of 50/$100, give or take.
I was thinking of something like the Canons (ip3500, ip3600, ip4500, ip4600) or the Epsons (I don't know much about them) (Stylus D92, Stylus D120, Stylus SX200, Stylus DX4450, Stylus Photo R285, etc.).

I've had a look at some of the resetting devices (e.g. RKS) and refilling methods and am aware they don't all work with every printer, so would dearly like some expert advice. Any advice on how to maintain my current 25p/50c 'single-refill' cost would be great: which printer?; which resetter?; which ink?; etc. I don't do much printing - a few A4 sheets a week.

I'll continue to hunt out the information from these forums but thought mining you experts would prove more fruitful.

Thanks.
Ah yes, the UK Epsons with Durabrite inks are Designated "D", vs us models designated "C". why the difference, I have no clue. It would make sense if there was a power supply issue. Canon models, at least the last few I owned sported 110~240V supplies.

The Epson Stylus is their document printer designation. This is not the one you'd pick for photos, but it is the one you'd pick if you wanted OEM archival pigment inks.

Canons offer a more general purpose printer, pigment ink for text, dye for photos. They do both rather well, though the new HP is getting good reviews for text printing.
http://www.druckerchannel.de/artikel.php?ID=2353&seite=6&t=test_hp_photosmart_d5460

The Canon ip4500 is a known quantity. There is bulk ink for it, there is a chip resetter for it. But this model is no longer in production, and supplies are so limited you might not be able to find one. What you can find is the mp610 which is listed for 129.55 on Amazon.co.uk. 94.99/99.99 on PCworld.co.uk Same printer, but the all in one verison.

There is the mp630 for about 100.00 with wifi, but this printer takes the new ink with no information on the chips or ink yet. The mp520 is the lower resolution edition, and doesn't feature CD printing. Worth looking at if you don't plan to print photos or CDs. But all things being equal, I'd go mp610.

All and all the all in one units are about 20 quid above and beyond the standard printer on sale, and unless you are lucky enough to find a ip4500, they seem to be the only choice for the current ink that has a resetter.

There is also the mx850, the network & fax model but that's like double the price in the UK.

Serville

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
IP3500 is fast, cheap and not so much inferior than IP4500. For photo printing, they are actually almost equal in term of quality.
IP4500 is faster for photo printing, have 1 more black CLI-8, CD/DVD printing (except US version) and a duplex. But if you don't need all these additional features, IP3500 is the best bang for the buck. IP4500 is much more expensive.
I have IP4500 and 2 units of IP3500 for backup, but I would have bought all IP3500 if I don't need the CD printing feature in IP4500.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I second that "
If you do a lot of photo printing the Canon iP4500 is the best bet but for price you limit yourself. You may find the iP3500 is best value."

Since new modesl are out that do not support RKS resetter watch out for theese two while stock lasts.