New weapon of Canon: new carts to replace CLI-221/521 and PGI-220/520

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I just came across this topic. The news makes me even more glad that when Fry's Electronics was selling refurbished Canon i560 printers for $39 (with new OEM tanks) that I bought FOUR of them! (to my wife's dismay). It's only a 3 color, plus pig black) but it really fills the needs of our family and best of all, no chips to reset! I guess I'll definitely be hanging onto these!

msmart said:
It shouldn't be long before someone develops the "German window installation method" where you use a Dremel tool to cut out a section of the side wall and install a clear plastic window. Just wait, it'll come.
Funny that you say that. Back in 2002 I was refilling Lexmark carts which are not transparent. Someone was selling a "sight glass" that could be attached to the cartridges. The site (like almost all the ink related sites I visited back in 2000 - 2003) is gone, but the Wayback Machine has saved the day:
http://web.archive.org/web/20021204181014/http://www.thepump.org/cartridge/index.htm

irvweiner

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Rob, check page 2 of this post--I went back to the very distant past, for me, and pulled out the car battery 'sights' of yesteryear. I've seen no further comment, but as these 'black carts' fill the scene and become pervasive I hope some members of this community try the 'sight rod' and report back. Only then do we become winners in this battle of greed.

irv weiner

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have refilled these cartridges with the German method, I held the cartridge to my ear when the substrate was absorbing the ink, you can hear the bubbles, as it is absorbing the ink. When I didn't hear the bubbling anymore, I assumed the substrate had absorbed what it wanted, and topped up the ink in the other 1/2. I then pulled out the needle and let the cartridge sit for a bit, to be sure there was no leakage, to be safe I squeezed the sides, and let a few drops out. I have tested these refills, and everything seems to be as OEM, and yes the chip was reset as well. Also I am referring to the 221/220 cartridges.

My point is, I don't see why the new cartridges can't be refilled this way, if the compartments are the same, also weighing is a great idea.

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
i haven't unpacked my mp620 yet to look at the cartridges but i believe that the reservior side of the (220 221) cartridge has a clear column where you can still see if there is ink present at least that is what the cartridges appear to look like from pictures that i have seen on the net. if i am correct after you fill the cartridge you should be able to turn it upside down and see what the ink levels in the cartridge. are my observations correct.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
repost on 2 possible methods - for new opaque cartridges, PGI-225 and CLI-226

here's a not so elegant solution
1. first draw out any remaining ink from opaque ink chamber
2. then refill to new cart's capacity, PGI-(19ml) CLI-(9ml)

a brute force solution:
1. just blindly refill until it starts to leak
2. clean up and go

both should work, but in either case expect a possible mess

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors
Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
MrElmo is correct, there is a window on the side, and you can see via bottom as well, BUT.......Canon has added another brick wall to try and make refilling harder, the newest 221 and 220s on the shelves of Staples, and Walmart, are solid colour. They have taken the window out, now I haven't seen the newer cartridges, but I have heard others mention this on another forum, and yes it is the 220/221 I am referring to, not the 225/226.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
found some pics of new opaque ink carts compared to previous gen carts, plus other pics

2709_1.jpg

2709_2.jpg

2709_3.jpg

2709_4.jpg

so far, any info on any attempts to refill ??

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors
Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Looks like there's a small clear window on the bottom. Just enough to see when it's full perhaps?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Looks like the Druckerchannel opaque cartridges are top hole refilled, or at least the plastic wrapper has been scratched away like when one removes the ball on top.