New Printer???

cafe latte

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi I need a new printer, in the part I had a HP allin one which was great, but the cost of carts was too much. Now i have an all in one epson cx1500 which was good in that it was easy to zap the carts and refill them , but the quality was naff and the cleaning cycles used loads of ink. Also recently it died as a message came up saying that internal component are in need of service, contact epson. I know how to get round it and have reset the thing a couple of times previous, but it was having some printing problems anyway so I thought i would get a new one. What I am after is an all in one which I can refill the carts on without too many problems and a machine that does not have a built in expire like the cx1500, I still cant believe it is legal for a company to make a printer that locks up when there is nothing wrong with it, just so you have to get a service on it when they know is not financially worth it!! I am not looking for a super amazing printer, just reliable and simple and refillable.
Thanks
CL

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
New printers are junk. Would you consider a recommendation on a used printer?

cafe latte

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Finding a used one is the problem, any of these you mentioned likely to be still available?? Also what is this method you use to fill your carts, with the epson I used to inject the ink into the flow out hole.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
cafe latte said:
Finding a used one is the problem, any of these you mentioned likely to be still available?? Also what is this method you use to fill your carts, with the epson I used to inject the ink into the flow out hole.
Yes, printers that use the BCI-6 cartridges are still available, at least in the USA, although they are becoming harder to find. If you want an all-in-one, look for an MP780. If you don't need fax, then you could also use an MP750 or MP760. Where are you located?

In the past, I vacuum refilled large numbers of cartridges at one time, then I switched to the German refill method, but recently, I'm looking back at vacuum refilling. Without the proper investment in vacuum equipment, I recommend the German method.

cafe latte

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I am in Australia.
I will have a google for shops in Aus for what you mentioned.
Are there any other possibilities?

cafe latte

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi Again, I have found an online store in Aus selling MP 990, which is expensive, MP640 MP560 MP550 MP490 MP270 any of these any good?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
If you are looking for one of the used printers I suggested, you don't want to look in a shop. You should look on craigslist or eBay. It may take a while for one to show up.

The first three printers you listed all use the same type of cartridge. I'm not sure if you can get a chip resetter for them or how well they are built but I would not buy a printer that uses three-color cartridges like the last set of printers you listed.

cafe latte

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi I was around the shops today, in a store that had mp270, 640 490 all had the canon 510 and 511 carts but the mp550 had the canon 520 521 carts. Is that any better?? I am still looking for any possibilities for an old canon.