New method to reset Canon chipped cartridges?

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of this method from Germany?? Check out ebay auction #120172511355

Here is a description

"From now on, you can print with inexpensive, compatible ink cartridges

A chip in the cartridge is no longer necessary!
The RKS-Chip-Extender system can be quickly and easily clipped into the printer by anybody.

The RKS-Chip-Extender is equipped with the original chip of the ink cartridge one time only and connects this permanently to your printer. Original chips are not included . Use the chips from your original cartridges or buy it inexpensive -for sample at Ebay- (empty original Canon cartridges).

The contact between the printer and ink cartridge occurs automatically through mechanical lock in, and through electrical contacts such as opto technical signal transfer to the ink cartridge.

Therefore, new ink cartridges no longer need a chip and can be installed in the printer comfortably, quickly and easily - as with the original ink cartridges. "

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Sounds like this would cause the printer to believe that all the carts installed have the correct chip, but you would probably still lose the ink monitoring function. If it works it is still a step forward.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I have seen this item and guys on the german website druckerchannel.de warns that this system is fake and also very expensive ! Don't be fooled: you won't return the ink monitoring, thereby making it a very expensive solution for a piece of plastic !!! Even refilling your original cartridges is much cheaper and easier.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I just checked the Seller's feedback on eBay...he has a perfect 100% rating for this product, and according to the feedback, appears to work well accordding to his customers.

I will not buy this yet, but if anyone has had personal experience with this method, I'm sure many people on this forum would like to hear about it!!

Let's hope some people will reply with their personal experiences...both good AND bad.....

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
100 % perfect rating is no guarantee that this product is excellent: This product is being advertised in several languages. I compared them in English, German, French and Dutch and I can not determine or find anything leading to a working and restored ink level status at all !!! The only advantage would be that changing chips is from now on something of the past and the chance mismatched chips is minimised. But why paying $ 55/ 40 as you can buy a lot of non-chipped aftermarked carts in which you can attached the chip yourself ? There are some nifty aftermarket carts like Jettec having a special area, in which you can easily slide the chip into a special holder underneath the cartridge without the need of glue or double sided tape.

At druckerchannel someone hard soldered the chips to the contacts (turning 90 %) and removing the copper contacts holder, making his printer now fit to use even the older BCI-6 cartridges, since the nodge is now removed on which the orginal chips are superseded. He never had to change chips, but he'll never be abled to get a working ink level status due to the hard soldered and thus permanent attached and disabled chips. The RKS-chip extender is something similar, but can be removed anytime.

And besides: if you read carefully you are required to detach the original chips from the Canon cartridges and adhere it to the chip extender, which is simply a piece of cheap plastic !!! Are you willing to pay 55 bucks for 5 pieces of cheap plastic ??? I would rather save the money and buy a set of original Canon cartridges instead and alternating both sets of cartridges and just refill them.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Well, if this does work...or doesn't work..I'm sure we will be hearing more about it in the near future. As one who makes a living selling printers and cartridges, I can tell you that 95% of my customers are not interested, nor are they capable, of taking chips off Canon cartridges and trying to get them to work with compatibles. They just want a lower cost alternative which will work, show their ink levels, and not worry about Canon's threat to void their warranty.
It is my responsibility as a seller to try and research every possibility which will allow customers to print at lower cost. In the meantime, most are delighted with Atlantic's chipped compatibles, which work flawlessly, and offer some savings.
Until there is a better way, perhaps a low-cost resetter like the Epson chip resetters, every new step forward needs to be looked at. If this is a dud, so be it.....but the jury is still out, and I do commend any company trying to find lower-cost alternatives. It would be a boon to millions of consumers, and the pent-up demand is enormous.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
When your people used Atlantic's reset chipped cartridges in their Cannon printers, did they have to flush out the printhead or run cleaning fluid through the printer beforehand to prevent precipitation/gumming up due to two different ink formulations? Or did they go straight from OEM Canon ink to Atlantic ink wothout problems?

What kind of color shifting happened with Atlantic inks (CLI-8 CMYK)?

Also, who makes the ink for Atlantic?

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
i wrote to the company and they emailed me the directions for the extender with photos, 2 problems it is in german ( i tryed to translate it but could not do it) also i can't find how to attach files on a post for this forum, if anyone wants to they can send an email to this address and request the directions
"RKS-TECHNIK" <rks-technik@t-online.de> from what i could make out from the photos it appears that you remove the oem chip and place it in a holder so you can use an after market cart. if that is the case, it does not appear to be a product of much use

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Manuchau said:
I can tell you that 95% of my customers are not interested, nor are they capable, of taking chips off Canon cartridges and trying to get them to work with compatibles. They just want a lower cost alternative which will work, show their ink levels, and not worry about Canon's threat to void their warranty.
So if they can not take of the chip for attaching to a new cartridge, for examples those from Jettec with a easy to use sliding system without the need of glue or double sided tape, why do you think they can detach the same chip from the cartridge and attach it to the RKS chip extender ? I do not understand your point and besides if you want to make money then I would certainly not go for the RKS chip extender since you can charge a extra fee for those with 2 left hands for changing the chip every time they need a new cartridge and they will go back to you asking for transferring the chip to the new cartridge and meanwhile you can promote other things to your customers (extra photopaper, promotion bundles etc) when they frequently come back to your shop for changing the chips. It's just my thoughts about doing business effectively.....

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
To Stratman - The bulk of my customers use their printers for documents, not photos. I recommend the genuine Canon to those inclined to print a lot of photos, since presumably and theoretically they should have more longevity.....but who knows for sure. There was no flushing of cartridges by any of my customers, one of whom produces and prints small cookbooks and local scenery books for a living. Recently she brought in her latest book for me to see. The printed food photos on the recipe pages were beautiful, and to the naked eye, looked as good as the Canon inks. How long they will last, I can't say...but I'm guessing that they will be fine for a number years. As for who makes the inks, I cannot say. They are apparently manufactured by a company called IJC, and have instructions in Italian, German, and English, and are sold with a brand mark called "TrueStar".

As to you, pharmacist...My understanding was that these extender chips get fitted on to the contact points in the printer, not the cartridge, so that unchipped cartridges may be used. I don't read or understand German, but my neighbour speaks some German and did his best to translate an article about this system to me. I know very well that compatibles for the new Canons which need transferred chips have existed for a long time. This appeared to be a newer system which did not require chip transfer. You can rudely complain about customers with 2 left hands, but most of my customers are seniors and non-technical people who don't want to transfer chips...neither do I. But if there was a method for fitting the printer with a chip which neutralized the need for chipped cartridges, then printers could be fitted with these, and use unchipped cartridges. We'll see what happens, and I'm sure everyone will keep their eyes open for evolving improvements.