New Canon ink cartridge series.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Checking out a Canon website for news I noticed some new AIO models using a new cartridge series, PGI-x70/CLI-x71. They are used in these printers and probably more: MG55x0, MG68x0 and MG77x0, x means a region dependent number.

The cartridges seem to look like the PGI-x50/CLI-x51 series of cartridges. The capacities are also the same 15/22 ml for normal/XL pigment cartridges and 7/11 ml for normal/XL dye cartridges. See this for normal cartridges and this for the XL cartridge capacities.

Maybe the only difference is the chip? The OEM PGI-x50/CLI-x51 are not refill friendly and no resetter is availlable, so refillable 3'rd party cartridges with Auto Reset Chips are preferred by some. By introducing a new chip Canon will not be bothered by compatible cartridges for maybe a year.

Last edited:

oroblec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pro-10 - Epson L1800
we need to learn all about that new cartridges because i will get a new printer for printer photos and words for my kids school.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
In case you haven't spotted the obvious pattern...

Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah (etc) is coming, lots of pressies need buying and printers will be one of them... Voila out comes new chips with printers for the season and [mock_horror]Oh dear, the poor recipients will have to buy original cartridges because there's no compatibles[/mock_horror].

Cue: Kerching in the OEM cash register...

T'is the season to be jolly n'all that ;)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
In case you haven't spotted the obvious pattern...

Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah (etc) is coming, lots of pressies need buying and printers will be one of them... Voila out comes new chips with printers for the season and [mock_horror]Oh dear, the poor recipients will have to buy original cartridges because there's no compatibles[/mock_horror].

Cue: Kerching in the OEM cash register...

T'is the season to be jolly n'all that ;)
Cynical smart ass.. :eek:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
That kerching remark made me remember this:

'Tis the season3.jpg