Need advice on cli-8 cart printers

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
ghwellsjr
I once taught that as well, but I think they have actually kept the old sensor on the CLI-526/226 cartridges..

emerald

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
fotofreek: post # 16

I had a streak of good luck a few weeks ago in coming upon two Canon i960 printers. Some person living about 4 miles from my home listed these printers on the local Craigslist as free to the first to come and pick them up. His listing said both had paper jamming problems and they were setting in his front yard. (He sounded disgusted.) I drove to the address and found them setting on the sidewalk in front of his house. One was setting on top of the original carton it came in. Both had the 4x6 printing adapter with them as well as the power cords. I took them home and found that one had a plastic single pill container lodged down inside the rear paper slot. Removing it fixed the paper jam. The other had a broken hinge on the front lid that covers the paper support but it was not jamming paper. A little epoxy on the hinge fixed that problem. I tested both in the "service mode." Both had Canon OEM ink cartridges but were almost out of ink. Both showed over 4,000 pages and a waste ink counter of over 40%. The one with the broken hinge indicated a few clogged nozzles on the photo magenta and the cyan. I flushed all 6 print head nozzles with Windex using a syringe method described here. Post # 27. That fixed the print head clog problem. The other printer with the paper jamming problem showed no sign of a print head problem. I removed them from their cases, flushed clean and dried the waste ink absorber pads, redistributed some of the extra white lubricant found on the carriage bar and plastic gears, reset the waste ink counter and made several test print-outs. One has Hobbicolor ink, the other has Precision Colors ink. They run very quietly and print beautiful color photos. I can understand why the Canon model i960 is favored among serious re-fillers. The chip-less BCI-6 ink cartridges are perhaps the most easy to refill of all the Canon ink cartridges. I've probably fallen into the printer collection addiction you describe but my wife is not as tolerant and as admiring as yours.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Emerald ... makes this newbie wonder if the person on CraigsList was the first owner. 4000 pages seems like a lot, and my speculation is waste pads take quite a while to fill up.

But great for you to get them in working order.

I'm curious how you get a Canon printer into "Service Mode" to get this information, specifically the Pro-9000-2.

Nifty-Rob wrote about this some time back, but it was for another Canon printer.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
could be 4000 4x6 prints or 4000 letter size prints. We don't know the coverage per page either.

Two fine working i960's is a great find! My wife has a bulletin board over her desk with push pins to hold items to it. She has had paper feed problems also, and after searching for something that fell into the feed area I turned the printer upside down and watched a push pin fall out. Feed problem fixed. Don't try this with a printer that has seen many years of use as you may be dumping waste ink onto your newly installed plush carpets!