My R3880 Could Be Dying

Ian Barber

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3880
The status monitor for the PK ink shows 72% but yet the cart is empty and I mean empty.

I weighed a new cart and from memory it was about 173g and the one I removed weighed 63g but yet the status monitor showed 72%

I put this down to a faulty chip but the same thing has happened to the new cart.

Anyone heard or experienced this ?

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
The status monitor for the PK ink shows 72% but yet the cart is empty and I mean empty.

I weighed a new cart and from memory it was about 173g and the one I removed weighed 63g but yet the status monitor showed 72%

I put this down to a faulty chip but the same thing has happened to the new cart.

Anyone heard or experienced this ?

Is the printer still printing with a new PK installed (but showing72%)?

Ian Barber

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3880
Yes the printer is still printing away. When the new cart was installed, the status monitor went to 100%, its dropped to 74% now but I know by the weight of the cart, it has less than that amount on ink left in it.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes the printer is still printing away. When the new cart was installed, the status monitor went to 100%, its dropped to 74% now but I know by the weight of the cart, it has less than that amount on ink left in it.

Ok. Others will contribute with more technical/ practical answers that i am sure you would be more comfortable hearing.......

Forgive me I'm a farmer, and when the fuel gauge on the 'ol Fergie packed up I didn't sell the tractor, or be of a mind that it was in its death thros.
One simply kept the fuel up to the old gal. (oops! no pun intended)
Its evident that you watch and weigh, tho management by sight on the 3880 with 80ml of ink in the cart is no hardship, just a process change. I refill, and so don't rely on the Epson Level Management System at all...as posted elsewhere I can't report any downside to a more hands on approach to cart management........but then my carts are see through..well sort of!
Never the less I am curious as to what the "fix" will be.
Good luck

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
The Printers Switching mechanism ist broken
you'll have to service it by a certified Epson repair center
I did the same with mine did cost me about 250€

they acutally replace the complete ink assembly unit which included the damper compartment AND the switching mechanism

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model

they acutally replace the complete ink assembly unit which included the damper compartment AND the switching mechanism

Gosh! thats nearly as dear as the fuel gauge replacement on the tractor!

Ian Barber

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3880

Is this the switching device that takes you from MK to PK ?

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
@ian
yes the switch mechanism is a electronically controlled (more precise by a Y-Way Valve with a solenoid) unit
switch is located within the printhead compartment
Since epson doesn't provide this specific part as a replacement PLUS the replacement would take over 2,5 hours they designed a rather simply method to swap out ALL parts that are in contact with the ink plus could or should require a maintenance once in a while
the ink supply system is meant to be replaced when the internal counter ticks "off" this happens if you really print productions on the 3880, a client of mine did use a Onyx RIP Software with FOGRA Proofing and stuff and they did Indeed print ALOT with their both 3880 units until both units required additionall services due to the contract they have with their IT provider that also supplies them with OEM inks a field technian came in and maintained both printers on site.

calucalting the cost If I would consider buying a "new" 3880 or the successor P800
the price for the replacement part is "ok"

BTW: normal the epson services WONT CHARGE YOU with "HOURS for services" they have a contract with epson themselfs and will install the part for a fixed price.

Only thing NEVER will give you a good return on the 3880 is a broken Printhead AND OR fried Mainboard/formater board
however a fried Power Supply unit is rather cheap to replace...

I already put about 300 plus EUR into my "3880" piggy bank in case anythings breaks It will pay for itself

Ian Barber

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3880
Very interesting, I wonder what would happen if I changed over to MK, might try that later tonight.

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
upload_2015-7-22_23-5-27.png

this is the part 511 in the exploded view part list
"INK,SYSTEM,ASSY.,ESL,ASP"
List price: € 103,10
(incl. VAT 19.0 %) (net. € 86,64)

upload_2015-7-22_23-7-7.png

this is the figure out of the maintenance manual
if the ink change motor fails the selection level the spring the ink will practially deplete itself when the printer is pressurizing the cartrige
since the printer doesnt recognize the ink loss the chip will still say "70%" or even more
Is one of the flaw after a period of working hours with both 3800/3880
the repair it self is doable but it requires knowledge and experties, it not changing a bulb.. I would only leave it to experts
but its doable within like 30mins if the field technican already knows the procedure, ink charging will take the longest