MS can now disable your Dodgy Games/Programs ! !

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I can across this article by Vaughn Highfield @starfox 118

Microsoft’s updated End User Licence Agreement terms and conditions let it disable any counterfeit software or hardware and, if you’re running a Windows 10 computer, you’ve just agreed to them.

Section 7b – or “Updates to the Services or Software, and Changes to These Terms” – of Microsoft’s Services EULA stipulates that it “may automatically check your version of the software and download software update or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorised hardware peripheral devices.”

This means that, if you use Windows 10, a Windows phone, or any of Microsoft’s other services, Redmond can disable any games you’ve pirated or devices you’ve unlawfully hacked.

While it’s incredibly clear what Microsoft means by “counterfeit games”, the wording “unauthorised hardware peripheral devices” is a little hazy. Does this mean Microsoft can now block uncertified PC or illegally-modified Xbox One and Xbox 360 controllers? Furthermore, Microsoft’s EULA doesn’t state if it will also disable other counterfeit software, such as cracked versions of Office or Adobe Photoshop, or if it only cares about pirated games.

Video game piracy, or “counterfeit games” as Microsoft puts it, has been a big issue in PC gaming for a long time. Many developers have sought to circumvent it by hard-coding impossible odds into their games, which are only solved by having a purchased activation code on your computer.

The same issue is also now becoming prevalent on Android and jailbroken iOS devices. However, under Microsoft’s new EULA, Windows 10 Mobile would be able to combat any pirated software a user loads onto their phone – potentially making it an attractive prospect for indie developers scared of having their work stolen.

Interestingly, Microsoft killed off its incredibly unpopular, DRM-heavy, Windows Live Games in Windows 10, and opted to support Steam instead. But, with these new terms and conditions, Microsoft has practically baked DRM into the core of Windows 10.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I am surprised that no one comment on this article at all ? :th

I posted it but don’t agree with it, I reckon its all smoke and mirrors and lack anything other that hearsay.

The fact that you get the O/S for free means you can’t very well ask for your money back and in theory what this guy says is technically possible BUT.

It’s a pretty big but and I reckon it is possible that this is what’s going to happen to the crafty guy who is running a knocked off version of Win O/S and then decides to upgrade it to Win 10 and thinks they have saved themselves some $’s, other than that all of the gamers can rest easy, phew..:bow

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
the crafty guy who is running a knocked off version of Win O/S and then decides to upgrade it to Win 10 and thinks they have saved themselves some $’s
The Irish call that guy "crafty"? In the USA we call that guy a moron and busted.