Mp970

eixty

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi, I seem to be having a problem with my MP970 printer. It won't turn on at all anymore, does anyone know anything I could do to try to maybe fix it? If I unplug the power cord, and wait a few minutes, I can press the power button, and the blue light will come on for a few seconds, and the lcd screen will show the Canon loading text for a brief moment before shutting off again. I should note I have already tried switching cords, and trying different power outlets to no avail.

If I am unable to fix it, can anyone recommend me a new multi function printer? I was looking at PIXMA MG8120, MP990, and PIXMA MX882 printers, can anyone recommend any of those as being good printers? Can all those use chip resetters to refill ink? Also is there a reason why the new printers don't have the Phot Cyan and Photo Magenta inks that my MP970 had? I'm willing to listen to any other suggestions for multi function inkjet printers if the above choices are bad. Thanks.

eixty

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I was able to turn it on again, When I go to print though, no ink comes out. I tried using hot water and hydrogen peroxide to rinse out the print head and let it dry overnight. I placed it back in, but still nothing comes out when printing even though it acts like it is printing. I tried using both the cleaning and deep cleaning modes with no luck. It also won't do a print head alignment either, it just takes the paper, then shoots it out again with an error. Is it possible to buy a new printhead for my printer or does Canon not have MP970 printheads anymore?

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
I don't know if it's worth spending money on an old printer but some of the experts here might have some ideas. It's a shame to fill the dumps with these things but I would just buy a new printer.

Chakonari

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Nothing worth mentioning.
Perhaps the new Canons "don't need" the extra photo carts as they are using the newer ChromaLife 100+, which are supposed have a wider gamut.

Sorry I can't really help with the printer problem though - which sounds like an electronic fault. Did it get wet? Can you still scan with it? If you can't get it fixed but it still scans, you could keep it for that, if you have the space and perhaps get something like the iX6550 (printer only and does A3+)... or someone you know may be happy about an oversized scanner as a gift.

In any case, hope you manage to fix the printer. Like rodbam said, shame to dump it. Good luck.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
This is an educated guess but it's entirely possible your printhead has died and needs replacing.

In the past there has been a fair bit of observations that printheads failing can do various nasty things ranging from killing a printer completely (as evidenced when a dead head was shifted to a working printer and transformed it to a dead printer) or simple weird results such as refusing to power up properly.

Unfortunately the only way to be sure is get a new printhead and take the risk that the problem is not simply an electronics or other issue with the printer itself.

If it was me, I'd be tempted to give it a go but then I'm a glutton for punishment...

eixty

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you for all your help, I'll see if the scannner still works, and also see if Canon still has replacement printheads.