MP780 Wrong Cartridge error

mmcmusnret

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printhead started leaving lighter stripes indicating one bank of cyan nozzles went out. Ordered new printhead (supposedly OEM but from Hong Kong) on eBay. Packaging looked legit. Put it in, ran alignment, nozzle check was sat...two days later got "Wrong Cartridge" error. Removed and replaced head several times, no improvement. I have a refurbed unit in the attic. Should I break it out or should I try another new print head in the current one?

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
have heard the overseas print heads can cause problems, but before you break out another print head here try this:

- use your chip resetter to reset the problematic ink cart

have had the same thing happen to me, sometimes it takes more than one ink cart reset.

if still NG try power cycling and then resetting your ink cart

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Active Printers: MP830, MP980, PRO-100
• Stored Printers: MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870
• Method: German Durchstich Method
• Ink: Hobbicolors and OCP
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
It is possible the chip on the cartridge malfunctioned. If the chip does not reset after trying jimbo123's suggestion then try a new OEM cartridge or similar KNOWN working cartridge before breaking out a new print head or printer.

It is also possible that the logic board assay in the printer has malfunctioned. It could also be dirty electrical contact on the print head and/or printer -- clean them gently with isopropyl alcohol and lint free cloth, or, use a soft pencil eraser.

Only print nozzle tests until the situation resolves one way or another unless suggested otherwise. This is to prevent burning out nozzles from lack of properly flowing ink that cools the nozzles.

If you can, post an image of the problematic printing.

Thank you for your service, sailor!

mmcmusnret

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The MP 780 is a BCI-6 (chipless cartridge) machine. The "Cartridge" referred to in the "Wrong Cartridge" error message is actually the print head, not an ink tank...at least that's the conclusion I reached when I searched the error message on this forum. I've got a service manual around here somewhere where I could verify that. The print head from Hong Kong came in a the same packaging as the head I stored when I put my backup factory-refurbed machine away. That doesn't mean the whole package wasn't just a good counterfeit, I know, but it sure looked legit.

So the question comes down to this...should I try another $60 print head (if so, could someone provide a trusted vendor?), or is there a pretty good chance the logic board is shot given the previous striping and the current error message? If the logic board is shot it's probably going to fry every new print head I throw at it, right? I don't want to break out my backup machine until I absolutely have to because I'll never see another one.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
as far as print heads, if i were to roll the dice, i'd only trust sellers from the US advertising NEW and GENUINE canon

here's one for $73
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Can...276?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2339c9bafc

looks like they have sold a bunch already with a 99.2 positive feedback rating

thank you for your service !

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Active Printers: MP830, MP980, PRO-100
• Stored Printers: MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870
• Method: German Durchstich Method
• Ink: Hobbicolors and OCP
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
same here.....

mmcmusnret

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Closing the loop on this one...

After determining that Canon discontinued the QY6-0049 print head around 2011 and that reputable USA sellers were having no luck finding GENUINE stock, I rolled the dice and risked my one-and-only brand new GENUINE Canon print head from my factory-refurbished backup MP780. I tested the presumed-faulty head in the refurbed machine and got the same error code, proving the "genuine" head I bought from a Hong Kong vendor was the source of the problem. Installed the head that had been packaged with the refurbed machine into my in-use machine and everything worked great. Got a refund for the bad head, luckily.

So now I have two good machines but only one print head. There's no shortage of print heads from China, many of them claiming to be genuine :lol:. Since I'm invested in refilling BCI-6 carts for this machine and my IP8500 I'd like to nurse them along for as long as possible. Any advice towards that goal? I'm leaning towards trying another "genuine" head from another Chinese vendor and hope for the best. If I toast a machine with a bad new head I'll still have one left to use until it dies, at which time I'll upgrade...something I'll inevitably have to do anyway. Thoughts?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
It would seem you’re doing all the right things to keep the old printer alive and you’ve nothing to lose trying another new head from China, I can only add that you watch Craig’s List or garage boot sale for any printer that might use the same QY6-0049 head.

I still have two printers that use the BCl-6 carts and have mothballed one of them to keep it up for a rainy day, because the further is not good anything decent coming from Canon.. :(

Tom Hock

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Do not buy another print head without checking the lawsuit pending against Canon regarding this error message. There are almost 1000 reports that a new print head will not fix this problem Do a Google search for Canon printer lawsuit for more info.