MP530 Yellow problems

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Lift the cover and use a flashlight to check if the pads that cap the print head when it is parked (off to the far right) are dry. If there is ink pooled on the pads, this can provide a path for ink to transfer between carts.

bgc999

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I checked those pads. There was no visible pooling. I folded up a paper towel and then twisted it up so I could reach in. I pressed on the pads and a little ink soaked up on the end of the paper towel but I wouldn't call it a lot.

Is that where the ink sprays when you run a cleaning cycle?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
bgc999 said:
Is that where the ink sprays when you run a cleaning cycle?
Yes, and there is a pump that pulls the ink down and into an absorbent pad in the bottom of the printer. The pads shouldn't have any pooled ink on top, but they will normally be wet enough to soak into a paper towel. It sounds like your purge pump is working properly.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
I had cross contamination with an older s9000 some years ago.
Sadly I could not fix it, it happened with different cartridges ... after printing color fields with the contaminated colors nozzle test was good ... until the next morning: cross contamination had returned. Was really annoying.

bgc999

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I replaced the yellow cart today, when removing the old cart I see that the ink output port on the cart is black and it appears that black has been sucked up into the cart as well. If this doesn't fix it I don't know what else to do. Both blacks are now genuine Canon carts.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The leaking of ink internally is one failure mode of printheads. Typically this is due to failure of glue holding the print nozzle plate to the ceramic substrate. The only real solution is head replacement. Just like all things glued, some are done better than others. Makes you wonder because many airplanes are glued together nowadays.

One more thing that makes you go Hmmmmmmmm...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
mikling said:
The leaking of ink internally is one failure mode of printheads. Typically this is due to failure of glue holding the print nozzle plate to the ceramic substrate. The only real solution is head replacement. Just like all things glued, some are done better than others. Makes you wonder because many airplanes are glued together nowadays.

One more thing that makes you go Hmmmmmmmm...
Remind me never to fly with Canon Airways.. :lol:

bgc999

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just a final post on this topic. It appears that swapping carts fixed the problem finally. I'm not sure if it was swapping the 8bk or 8y that fixed it. It will be months before I have to swap another cart since I rarely use the printer. If the problem reappears when I have to change the genuine canon 8bk for on of the generics I'm not sure what I'll do, because I'm not going to pay for Canon carts.

Thanks for the help,
BGC

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
A more economic and prudent way would be to start refilling your OEM CLI-8 cartridges
and stop using generic cartridges altogether.

Refilling may not be to your liking but if it will stop you damaging your print head and having to replace it
plus you can save up 75% on the cost of your inks, then surly it's worth a try.

May I suggest if you know youre not going to be using the printer then it would be advisable
to print a nozzle check at least once a fortnight that will help keep your printer in good condition? :)