Mg5350 Line Feed Problem

IanYY

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My MG5350 mainly prints OK, but has a line feed problem at the bottom of every sheet. I've attached some photos to show the problem ...

1. This photo, and all the others, just show the bottom corner of each sheet, about 50mm (2 inches) in height. This one is printing a grey block on plain paper. The rest of the sheet is perfect, but there are three missing lines at 7mm, 18mm and 28mm from the bottom edge

PlainGrey2.jpg

2. This one is printing text with an overlaid line frame. The text appears OK, but there is a gap in the vertical line above the last line of text, and a smaller gap in the vertical line above the 5th from the bottom line of text.

PlainText2.jpg

3. This is page 2 of the same text & frame pattern printed in duplex. Being duplex, the last bit of the document to be printed is actually at the top of the page, so this is upside down. Note the double printing of the last 4 lines, with the last 2 lines being worse than lines 3 & 4. Line 4 starts 29mm from the edge of the paper, Line 2 starts 17mm from the edge.

(Strictly speaking, it's not the same document, because I moved the line frame before printing.)

Duplex2.jpg

4. A photo printed on 6x4 glossy photo paper. Again just the bottom corner is shown, since the rest of the photo is OK. The first flaw occurs at 30mm from the bottom. This image has been printed at "Normal" quality. When printed at "High" quality, the flaws are less noticeable, but still there, and there is an additional set of fine error lines starting at 7mm from the bottom.

Photo2.jpg

This is definitely a "paper end handling" problem because there is no fault if I print documents on oversize sheets (so the paper end is not detected until after printing is finished).

It is also a "bi-directional printing" problem. You can see that the blurred lines in photo 3 are being printed twice - presumably once in each direction, with one direction being offset from the other.

I have thoroughly cleaned the two timing disks at the left side of the printer (which seem to me to be the most likely causes) several times. With absolutely no effect.

So I am now wondering what else could be involved.

Any thoughts, please.
Ian

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Maybe the optical readers for the timing disks also need cleaning?

IanYY

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
FIXED.

But first a bit of background ... I bought this as a "faulty, spares or repairs" printer, so it's not surprising I've had some problems with it. And I have no knowledge of its previous history.

Fault #1. Wouldn't power on, with a 5B00 error code (Ink Absorbers Full).
Fault #2. Wouldn't run the Canon Service Tool - flashes the orange lamp (4 flashes) when trying to enter service mode.

Fixed #2 by replacing the ink cartridges (though you couldn't tell this easily because the printer wouldn't turn on normally to check the cartridges). I could then run the service tool and reset the ink absorber count to zero. The printer then seemed to work OK, so I dismantled it and washed out the ink absorber pads.

After rebuilding it and testing again, I first noticed Fault #3, as described in this thread.

The cause of #3 turns out to be a build-up of gunk on the output rollers, as in this photo ...

Rollers.jpg

This photo was taken with the printer dismantled, but you get a similar view by looking into the printer through the paper output tray. Each roller was covered in a thick layer of hard gunk (almost like carbonised). I have started scraping the middle roller in the photo and you can see the gunk peeling off.

The gunk means that the rollers have a greater diameter than they should, and one rotation of the rollers moves the paper further than normal. Since these rollers control the movement of the paper only towards the end of the sheet, the problems only appear at the bottom of each sheet.

Anyway, that's my theory.

The end result, after scraping off all the gunk, is the printer now seems to be working properly.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
FIXED.

This photo was taken with the printer dismantled, but you get a similar view by looking into the printer through the paper output tray. Each roller was covered in a thick layer of hard gunk (almost like carbonised). I have started scraping the middle roller in the photo and you can see the gunk peeling off.

The gunk means that the rollers have a greater diameter than they should, and one rotation of the rollers moves the paper further than normal. Since these rollers control the movement of the paper only towards the end of the sheet, the problems only appear at the bottom of each sheet.

Anyway, that's my theory.

The end result, after scraping off all the gunk, is the printer now seems to be working properly.
Well done, IanYY! :clap

What do you think is the caked on material? Maybe an ink spill? A filthy environment?

IanYY

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
What do you think is the caked on material? Maybe an ink spill? A filthy environment?

It's very suspicious that the guy I bought it from advertises on Ebay ...

A4 self-adhesive glossy posters
Printed cake topper icing sheets
Printed cake topper rice paper
A4 printed iron on fabric transfers

I might guess that the "edible ink" was the cause.
Ian

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Food as well as non-food materials printed on same printer? Maybe for your own personal use but, yuck, not for sale to the public.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Food as well as non-food materials printed on same printer? Maybe for your own personal use but, yuck, not for sale to the public.
I don't like that idea neither. Canon printers should be used as intended for plain paper documents, photos and CD/DVD's if the printer has this capability, but not for edible material. See this thread about cake printing: http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/edible-inks.8153/