MG 5420 software

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I can't get my 5420 to print true grayscale. It has almost a sepia cast. I'm printing using Easy photo print EX, canon ink and glossy paper on standard photo printing. Easy Photo and Image Garden seem to lack links to the printer for preferences.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
If you print your photos from Windows instead of from Canon Easy Photo Print EX you will have access to the printer settings. To print from Windows just right-click the photo and choose "Print". I think it will not be necessary with more explanations with screen dumps? But if you want I can make screen shots and post them.

A magenta cast is typical of many (most or all?) Canon printers, even with OEM ink and paper. Printing neutral B/W photos with a colour inkjet printer is difficult. Advanced users make their own printer profiles to get better results, but this is no simple task and expensive hard- and software is needed.

Last edited:

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I may have found the fix. Not sure, but may have been set to sepia, though I hadn't thought so. Still not perfect but better. Thanks PeterBJ for the suggestion. I will give it a try. A friend had suggested something of this sort but wasn't sure how to effect it. Thank you.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Here is a scan of two 4"x6" prints of a test image. The top is made with grey scale checked and the bottom is made with the grey scale unchecked and monochrome sepia effect checked. The printer is a Canon iP4300, with OEM inks and a new ( 2200 pages ) print head. The scanned colours are reasonably true, the grey scale photo has a slight magenta cast.

Greyscale-Sepia.jpg