Magenta issue

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
There is a very good possibility that the print is damaged and no amount of cleaning will fix it, an electrical problem is impossible to see and can happen when the nozzles become over heated.

There are two things you can do now, one, is to leave the printer standing for two days and then try another nozzle print to see if there is any improvement in it compared to your previous ones.

Two, you could try removing the head and leave it to soak right up to the ink inlets in a couple of drops of Fairy liquid, Window Cleaner and very warm water, change the water every day and on the third day, thoroughly dry the head and install it once more , then follow the usual steps to see if your print out is getting any better or worse.

You can’t do much more than that..

Ash

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG5350
OK I will give that a try. Watch this space :(

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
A few times I have seen a similar behaviour of print head nozzle cleaning, more cleanings from the driver's maintenance actually made the nozzle check worse and one or more test stripes could disappear with more nozzle cleanings. The cause of this fault was a non functional purge unit.

So I suggest to check the function of the purge unit before doing more cleaning of the print head outside the printer. This post by @turbguy has an instruction for testing the purge unit.

Ash

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG5350
A few times I have seen a similar behaviour of print head nozzle cleaning, more cleanings from the driver's maintenance actually made the nozzle check worse and one or more test stripes could disappear with more nozzle cleanings. The cause of this fault was a non functional purge unit.

So I suggest to check the function of the purge unit before doing more cleaning of the print head outside the printer. This post by @turbguy has an instruction for testing the purge unit.

Thanks, I will try the test. Anything is worth a try before buying a new print head.

Ash

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG5350
looks like I will be buying a new printer (MG5650) and I will give up on refilling carts! Yes I could spend £55 on a new print head but I'm concerned that may not fix it! I've just paid out on new ink as well :he

Ash

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG5350
Sorry guy's for jumping the gun about a new printer. I have checked the function of the purge unit and it's OK. I'm now doing a clean of the print head over three days. Fingers crossed but if this doesn't work I will go for a new printer.

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
I also am having magenta issues, also 3 other people that I know are having the same issues however 1 of them is an Epson owner. This is not good very frustrating I have been refilling for 9 years and have never run into this bad of a problem

Ash

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG5350
I also am having magenta issues, also 3 other people that I know are having the same issues however 1 of them is an Epson owner. This is not good very frustrating I have been refilling for 9 years and have never run into this bad of a problem

I fixed the magenta problem by cleaning the print head over three days but I then had a PGBK problem which cannot be fixed. I how have a new printer and I'm looking out for a cheap second hand machine that works so I can replace the print head in the old machine ;)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Canon printers can’t tell which colour ink is in any of your cartridges, it has to relay on the chip to be sure.

When you refill your cartridges you must take every care to make sure that they are working properly before use, because if you don’t then it’s almost guaranteed that the magenta will be the first one to give you trouble, why ?

Whether it’s the particular dye itself or something else who knows, but fungus and bacteria loves the magenta over every other colour.

So when your refilling make sure that everything is kept very clean and never put unused ink back into the bottle, and always remember to keep all your ink stock tightly sealed and stored in a cool place..

Following this procedure can’t guarantee you won’t have any more problems but it will go a long way to help..